Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First post, just got a beer kit for Christmas & Made my first batch today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Demaskee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First post, just got a beer kit for Christmas & Made my first batch today

Hello Gents,

I figured I'd share my good news since you guys can probably relate better than anyone I know.

My awesome in-laws got me a Brewcraft USA home brew setup along with an Amber Ale kit for Christmas. Today I tried my hand at it. I followed the reciepe to the T. The specific gravity was exactly what the manufacturer recommended. It's currently fermenting in a closet at a constant 68 degrees. So hopefully it works out.

I had already built a kegorator, so today I ordered a 5 gallon home brew keg (bottling just doesn't appeal to me) to get me going here.

Anyhow, I was curious to know how long you recommend aging an Amber in a secondary fermentor before kegging?

Thanks guys!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Well, not a gent but hope you won't hold that against me
An amber shouldn't need much aging, I would do 2-3 wk in primary then straight to keg. I won't get into the whole whether you need a secondary argument, you can read about that for yourself, but the keg essentially acts as a secondary clearing/conditioning vessel anyway. I haven't used a secondary vessel other than a keg in years, but I do have enough spares that I can afford to lager or age my bigger beers in them.
Congrats on your first batch!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
Demaskee
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
Well, not a gent but hope you won't hold that against me
An amber shouldn't need much aging, I would do 2-3 wk in primary then straight to keg. I won't get into the whole whether you need a secondary argument, you can read about that for yourself, but the keg essentially acts as a secondary clearing vessel anyway. I haven't used a secondary vessel other than a keg in years, but I do have enough spares that I can afford to age my bigger beers in them.
Congrats on your first batch!
My apologies,

My other hobby is old school shaving. The forum I cruise for that is most definitely male dominated.

Thank you for the advice! My head is spinning with all the information and youtubing (is that a word) I've been doing today. I can see there is a lot to learn! I'm excited (and to be quite honest nervous) to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Was going to edit my post but too slow - when I say a couple weeks in primary it's still good practice at the beginning to make sure the gravity is stable before packaging. Also the beer should look pretty clear, no harm leaving it a little extra time for the yeast to clean up and the trub/yeast cake to compact.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Okay and now I need to ask what is old school shaving?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 12-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #6
Demaskee
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
Okay and now I need to ask what is old school shaving?

Haha, using a badger or boar brush and a soap instead of stuff from a can for your lather. The razor is either a straight razor (think Reservoir Dogs/Sweeny Todd) or a double edge safety razor like something off of Madmen.

Both have been a lost art for some time, but now that razor blades have become so expensive, there has been a big resurgence.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ah, got it. Well happy brewing and don't cut your ear off

Old 12-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
Demaskee
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for that, and the advice. I'm already scoping out the next recipe

Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is an ongoing thread on wet shaving in this forum. Just do an archive search.

I agree with no secondary and right into the keg. I usually wait 3 weeks in primary. Then if the FG is the same for a few days, I keg, chill, gelatin (read about that too) and force carb. Kegging is the way to go.

I don't always buy from Northern Brewer BUT they have an awesome resource over there. If you go to the learn section, then documentation and recipes, you'll get to their kit recipe section. If you are brewing extracts you need to focus on that area, but you can cruise through the different styles and what they require to make. Another great supplier is Austin homebrew supply, they sell a whole selection of extract and All Grain (AG) brew kits and they ship for free.
As a beginner, I recommend sticking with kits for the first few brews. And don't just brew them, really take the time to look at the ingredients, do some research and learn why they are used in that recipe.

I like beer

People Like This 
Old 12-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1413

I've spent this year doing that with Midwest's partial mash kits. You can make some darn good beers from those kits for about $25 with premium dry yeast,usually US-05. They also have many extract with steeping grain kits. Some just extracts & hops,but quite impressive.
Anyway,they lists the ingredients & how much of each is used. That way,I can buy the grains & extracts separate next time & tweak them in Beersmith2.
For example,I've made the Traditional stout kit,then brewed a robust vanilla porter from tweeking the grain & extract bills.

Quick Reply