Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First post, Help Please!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
BeerNerd12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks for all the fast and helpful responses everyone! I am glad to see how friendly and helpful the homebrewing community really is.

I called up my local American Brewmasters and discussed my situation with them, I ended up swinging by there and they set me up with the liquid LME that was originally missing from this kit.(plus a 10% discount on my next purchase too boot! Really awesome staff with great customer service)

They suggested I dissolve this in some boiling water, let it cool, and then just rack it over into my fermentation bucket. Seeing as how most of your tips are along those same lines I am gonna go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbalding View Post
My first extract kit kicked off hot and basically died after 30 hrs but I learned that that's normal and you just need to sit tight.
What was your OG...? I agree that you'll just have a lighter beer. Not the end of the world.
My OG was 1.040 and it was supposed to be around 1.070, looking back now I feel like a real newbie for not taking serious alarm to this reading the first time, before pitching the yeast. But after all I took up this hobby because I love beer, its fun, and I wanted to learn something new. Now I can say that I have definitely learned something from this experience, check OG and make sure its where it is supposed to be, and will remember it for future brews. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Sounds like you're on your way now.
BeerNerd12 Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1027 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Also, just a FYI. Oftentimes with brews that include top off water, the OG's do not always read correctly due to stratification, read layering, of the heavier wort and the top off water. Even with stirring. But good catch on the left out extract. Welcome to a wonderfully addictive hobby/way of life.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #14
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 125

As DrunkleJon says OG doesn't always match what the instructions say, but as long as you put ALL the malt into the correct volume of water you will be OK. Once the beer starts fermenting it will stir itself, you'll see lots of circulation inside the fermentor. Regardless, you will have made beer and it will be good. And your next batch will be better, and then you're hooked. You can keep this hobby as simple as you want or more complicated than you'll ever imagine, but in the end you're making beer and it is good.

Quick Reply