Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First post - first "brew weekend" - missed my OG hydrometer reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
jholen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default First post - first "brew weekend" - missed my OG hydrometer reading

Greetings!

First time poster here - and my first "brew weekend" (my weekend falls on wed/thur/fri) - brewed my first batch (American Hef) on Thursday, and then brewed again today (American IPA). My question relates to my first batch, the Hef, which happened yesterday. I unfortunately broke my hydrometer (bottom of the test tube fell out, and the hydrometer with it cracking on the table) before I could take a reading before pitching the yeast. Needless to say, it has been just over 24 hours, and am wondering what I should do next. Is it pointless to take a hydrometer reading now, considering I really don't have much to compare it to?

Anyways, here is the recipe below:

Quote:
American Hef (Created from "Brewing Classic Styles" - by JP/JZ)
Name: Humble (or Horrible, if it turns out bad) Homebrewer's Hef

Full boil - Extract

6 lbs DME (Wheat)

No specialty grain

Hops:
1 oz Willamette (4.8%) - Pellet @ 60 mins
0.3 oz Willamette (4.8%) - Pellet @ 0 mins
0.3 oz Centennial (10.9%) - Pellet @ 0 mins

Yeast: Fermentis Safale US-05 (rehydrated)
I suppose that I could go from the suggested OG generated from BeerSmith (you'd think I'd go from the book, however I was just borrowing the book to get the recipe), and compare that, just not sure what *should* have changed/happened to the gravity after 24 hours. I'm not freaking out, and plan to leave it - just curious. Btw, this is planned to just stay in the primary for 4 weeks before bottling. For priming sugar I picked up some Sugar in the Raw - Cane Sugar.

Thanks,
- J

p.s. Here is the American IPA recipe which seemingly went off without a hitch (picked up a new hydrometer too)

Quote:
American IPA (taken from "Brewing Classic Styles" - by JP/JZ)
Name: Rainy Day IPA (pouring down rain/hail up here in the PNW)

Full boil - extract

6 lbs DME (Pilsner)

Specialty Grains - steeped @ 150 (brought up to 162 and then off heat) for 30 mins:
1 lbs Crystal 20
1/4 lbs Crystal 40
3/4 lbs Munich

Hops:
1 oz Columbus (14.0%) - Pellet @ 60 mins
1 oz Centennial (10.9%) - Whole @ 15 mins - added 1/2 tsp Irish Moss also @ 15 mins
2 oz Cascade (7.5%) - Pellet @ 0 mins

Yeast: Fermentis Safale US-05 (rehydrated)
Went a lot smoother than the day before, and I got a corrected OG reading of 1.053 (BeerSmith had suggested 1.055)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Welcome to HBT! As for your question, has your beer started fermenting. If fermentation hasn't kicked in yet, you should be able to get a gravity reading, as there has been no alcohol created yet. If it has, I would say you are not going to get a reliable OG.. Just my .02

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 11-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #3
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroosBrewz View Post
Welcome to HBT! As for your question, has your beer started fermenting. If fermentation hasn't kicked in yet, you should be able to get a gravity reading, as there has been no alcohol created yet. If it has, I would say you are not going to get a reliable OG.. Just my .02
Primary is a bucket, so a bit hard to tell if the krausen is forming - and I'm not too keen on popping that lid to take a peek. If it helps, the ambient temperature is right around 64-65. I've been monitoring the temperatures, via a Fermometer on the side of the bucket, they are as follows:

(Pitched yeast @ 1600 on 11/10/11)

11/10/11 @ 1725 - 64F
11/11/11 @ 0835 - 67F
11/11/11 @ 1630 - 67F

From my understanding, the fermentor is going to be a bit warmer inside when fermentation is going on, and my temps appear to reflect that.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #4
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

OG readings aren;t really vital for extract brews. Assuming you used the proper amount of extract and filled to the correct volumes, your OG will be basically set. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but if you followed a recipe, they will be whatever the recipe said.

Quick plug into BeerClaculus says 1.053 OG. I'd go with that.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

As of this morning, at 0515 (11/12/11) we're at 68F (ambient is still hovering at right around 64F) - and I can see a visible ring or remains of a ring above the beer. Looks like we're good! No airlock activity in all my checks (but yes I know, airlock activity is not necessarily a sign of fermentation).

Quick Reply