Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Partial Mash Today.. Instructions say 2.25 qt/lb mash water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
DonutMuncher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First Partial Mash Today.. Instructions say 2.25 qt/lb mash water?

Doing my first PM later today. I only have about 3.5 pounds of grain (mostly 2-row), and the rest is extract. I've read a lot on here about mash water-to-grain ratios, and a lot of people seem to do anywhere from 1.25 qt/lb to 2 qt/lb of grain for mash water (seems like 1.25 and 1.33 is common).

My instructions say to use 8 quarts of water for the 3.5 pounds of grain, which is more like 2.3 qt/lb. Does this higher ratio have a negative effect of any kind? Reduced effiency? If so, I assume I can just reduce to 6 or 7 quarts of mash water instead.

After that, the instructions say to do a "pour-over" sparge with a ratio of 1 quart to 2 pounds (so less than two quarts of sparge water for my 3.5 lb. of grain).

Should I stick to these instructions? I want my first PM to turn out decent

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I personally would stick with 1.25.

Think of it like Marco-Polo where Marco is the enzyme and Polo are the starches. Everyone is in a pool: 1.25 is a perfect ratio where the marco can find the polo. If there is not enough water, it is hard for the marco to move around. If there is too much water, the marco cant find the polo.

So you want to be a leader? You want to change the game?
Turn your back on money, walk away from fame.
You want to be a missionary? Got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life, how's that make you feel?
You want to be a writer but don’t know how or when?
Find a quiet place use a humble pen.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

agreed that's an awefully thin mash...does the recipe have you sparge, or just take the mash runnings and nothing more?

if its a no-sparge recipe, then I sort of 'get' those instructions...however I'd still mash at more like 1.25-1.4qt/pound, and then sparge.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
FreshZ
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've been doing partial mash lately with some kits from Austin homebrew. I have been mashing BIAB in 3 gallons of water for about the same amount of grain as you. Then sparge with the 1.25 ratio. Seems to be working for me, but it may not be the best method.

Primary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
DonutMuncher
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
agreed that's an awefully thin mash...does the recipe have you sparge, or just take the mash runnings and nothing more?
It still says to sparge, by just pouring 170F water over the grains and letting it drip into the pot. It says slightly less than 2 quarts of sparge water for the 3.5 pounds of grain.

FreshZ, I got my kit at Austin Homebrew too. I guess their recommendations are for using more mash water. Not exactly sure why, but maybe its not a big deal when only using a few pounds of grain?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
DroolingNeoBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

its hard for me to look at multiple threads at the same time in the android app, but im pretty sure the stove top partial mash thread by deathbrewer recomends using the total volume of the boil for the mash water. does the amount of mash + sparge water = your boil vol?

i have been wondering about the mash volumes for partial mashes as well. hopefully someone more experienced weighs in here. maybe the deathbrewer himself.

Next: Irish Red Ale, Mild, BC Pale, Scotch Ale, Helles, Pils
Planning: Bombardier clone (The real ale cask version, not that sh!te in the bottles)
P1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout P2: Pear Wine P3: Air P4: Oxyclean
Keg 1: Stout Stout Keg 2: Dead Intruder Mailbock
Bottled: Lots

Quick Reply