Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #71
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It does indeed smell/taste like the pm brew is better than extract in terms of progression of aroma & flavor. It is less "green" than extract equivalents,imho. Boy,does beer & vodka feel good after bottling...
Yea, once you're setup equipment wise and process wise, there are really no drawbacks to PM over ESG that I can see. Not only more control, more options, and its cheaper!! Knocking a $16 bottle of LME off for a couple bucks in grain is wonderful. I enjoy my Partial Mashes a lot more with dunk sparging! It was easier and better conversion. Glad you enjoyed the process and I hope your beer is great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #72
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2261 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

Thanks,it did settle out more of that fine cloudy stuff by bottling time. The pm kit was $25 vs an average of $35 for my extract recipes. I'm also thinking of trying the dunk sparge next time to get the OG up a little.I got 47 bottles out of this batch. Gunna change some of the grains next time to get closer to what my APA's were.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #73
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I think it's safe to say that an grain based beer comes across much "fresher" than an extract. Malt and hops flavors seem more defined maybe. Definitely give the dunk sparge a try when you do BIAB, way easier than trying to pour the sparge water, and you'll get similar if not better efficiency. And don't be afraid to squeeze your sack either. Don't over do it, but a little squeezing will get some extra wort out. Couple more PM batches and you'll be ready to do a BIAB all grain!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #74
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Now that I think about it,pm does seem to have better definition of aromas & flavors right off the bat. Sure,my extract beers were good. But this is looking to be more well defined,to say the least. And I def wouldn't want to squeeze my sack very hard. I'll be experimenting with pm for a while yet. But an AG pale ale might be fun to try. I'm liking the idea of using different grains to get various flavor qualities already. Not to mention the cheap grain prices! I'm gunna try adding up the prices of the grains I'll be using next batch just to get a comparison to how much my extract APA costs.
**PS-Just looked up the prices on 5lb of grains I need for my APA pm version with 3.3lb jug of Breisse gold. $20.69 for a 5 gallon batch. Not a bad price at all from midwest!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #75
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Yep, and that LME jug is what, almost half of that cost! I still buy my grains on a per batch basis up at Midwest, and the cost is the awesome compared to extract. If I'm reusing yeast, session beers are ~$15-20. Once I get the garage finished, I'm gonna start buying my base malts in bulk which is like another big decrease in cost.
I'll be honest man, it didn't take me long to go from PM to AG. When I realized how easy BIAB is, and how good the beer is, I quickly started doing BIAB all grain. Another thing I noticed is that (I'm assuming due to paying more attention to every detail) my extract beers are better. The last few batches I've brewed have been extract, and they've been coming out just as tasty and well attenuated as my AGs.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #76
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Interesting point. I have been thinking of brewing some of my extract recipes again in the future. Might make a nice comparison doing my APA as an extract & a pm. Then side by side taste test,color,etc.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #77
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Well,here we are 3rd day after bottling. They're already clearing very nicely. That fine misty/cloudy stuff from the fine crush didn't take much to settle out. Light color,gold with some amber maybe.
Still have to get those heavy cases upstairs where the extra warmth will carb them better. It's ok down here,but heating isn't as even.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #78
ronsky
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77
Never used the super moss, but I'm sure it works just as well or better than regular moss. Just whirl floc tabs, they're easy and they work well.
I use regular Irish moss... I am not yet making Super Beers, just regular beers. ;-)

I am following this thread because I am interested in doing Partial Mashes. I am a noob, and I want to get the specialty grains/extract method (as well as all my other processes) down before venturing over that next horizon.

I do have a question, and hopefully some one following this can answer it (and not trying to highjack your thread, just thought someone already following can answer it):
Are partial mash/mini mash the same thing, meaning AHS might call it mini mash, but NB might call it partial mash?

Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #79
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I believe they're interchangable terms. This was a 1st for me as well. I was recombining extract malts-DME,LME,pre-bittered,plain with various hops & styles different volumes,etc. I just said to myself F'it,I've read enough about it,nothin left to it but to do it. It's clearing very nicely in the bottles now,so that's nearly the last hurdle in this new level learning process.
Looking back to brew day,Oct 9th,I'd have to say my stressing like a noob was unfounded. And the bit about needing a fine crush for biab may not be entirely accurate. I'll play around with that aspect of it some more before I come upon a good solution. Need a grain crusher though. Didn't find one locally I could afford,so I used an old mini food processor I mentioned earlier. Efficiency must've been pretty good,since I got an OG of 1.044 from a range of 1.042-1.046. FG range 1.010-1.012,got FG1.012. Looks to be on track so far.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #80
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Partial mash and mini mash or interchangeable terms. For me, Mini Mash is more appropriate, but partial mash seems more popular. I get that you are mashing "part" of the grain bill... but you are FULLY mashing what grain you are mashing, just on a smaller scale, so Mini-mash is more appropriate in my eyes.

Also Ronsky - I don't mean to be so repetative with this whole dunk sparge business, but I gotta tell you... I can certainly understand someone being intimidated by reading about AG or PM and hearing about fly sparging and hot liquior tanks, etc. But if you do a BIAB mini mash with dunk sparging, it is LITERALLY no different from steeping grains other than paying more attention to water volume and specific temperatures. You are soaking a grain big (bigger one) in a volume of water for about an hour. Then you are soaking it in another volume of water for a few minutes. The only difference really being that the temps of the water is important and is being held closer.

Quick Reply