Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #51
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1904 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Well,today is the 2 week mark in the fermenter. The 1st FG sample clocked in at 1.013. Range is listed as 1.010-1,012,so it's darn close. But it's still silty/cloudy. The fine stuff is still circulating around,even in the hydrometer tube. Tastes like green beer now with malty/yeasty aroma. But not at all offensive. The hops taste more like they do at this point with my extract beers. No off flavors or smells,thank God. Straw gold color from the silt in the hydrometer tube. Thinking of trying crystal 40L in place of the 10L next time. May replace half the 4lb of 2 row with 2 lb of marris otter as well. I think it needs a tad more malt flavor & color to be closer to my extract APA/IPA malt profile.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #52
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Sounds like you hit your OG, hit your FG and made a good beer. I'd give it another few days if not a week to see if it settles more. Then carb it up and taste it. You may find that you alter the changes you are planning to make next time after you've tasted it carbed and conditioned.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #53
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I had to rescue my PM yesterday with DME because I missed my OG by a lot. Not sure why either, it would have to been RIDICULOUSLY low efficiency to have missed by as much as I did - like 20% efficiency. Glad you had a better result.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #54
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Me too,being my 1st pm. I'm hoping to get it down to 1.010. The OG range was 1.042-1.046,I got 1.044. And I used a mini food prcessor to crush the grains. But I did see in another thread to use a fine crush for biab. So maybe I got lucky on that part & guess right. Yeah,I'll have to taste it to make a final dicision on aroma,flavor,& color. But I do like the idea of some UK marris otter. I wonder how efficiency is computed?...

Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #55
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Well,here we are 8 days later,& It only dropped one point to FG1.012. & it still is very cloudy. Tastes good though,no yeast flavor. Hop flavors getting quite good,very fresh tasting. I'll give it till friday or saturday morning to settle more before it has to get bottled to be in time for thanksgiving.
I'm thinking of using wirlfloc or the like next time. I have no place to cold crash,so I may have to just bottle settle this batch.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #56
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Union, I did a partial mash last night with a 10 gallon cooler. The big difference is, for the first time, I dunk sparged. MAN, do I recommend dunk sparging!! It was infinitely easier and I nailed my 75% efficiency goal right on the nose. I didn't use a finer crush for BIAB, because I don't really want higher than 75% efficiency - I hope to be right around there for everything, including all grain and make the system repeatable so I have better control over my calculations. What I did was heat water to about 175 and dumped that into my cooler. I waited for the strike water to cool to 161 - this was an easy way of preheating my cooler and getting my strike water to temp in one simple step. I added the 5lbs grain which dropped my temp to 151. I let the cooler sit open for a min til it dropped to 150 and closed it up. 40 Min later, I started heating sparge water in my kettle (now freed up since I mashed in the cooler). I had mashed with about 2 gallons - A little more than 1.5q/lb. The sparge water I heated was 2 gallons (expecting to lose about 1/2 gallon to the grain and given me a 3.5 gallon boil vol.) 1 hour later, I was at 148 degrees in the mash tun. I withdrew the bag and set it on my big strainer for a few min to drain. (I like this better than a collander because it's got a long handle and rests across almost any diameter pot/bucket/etc). I then took the bag and dunked it into the 168 deg sparge water and allowed it to sit about 10 min. I then put it into the strainer over the BK and waited about 5 min for it to drain. I then combined the two worts into the BK and measured the volume - I had exactly the anticipated 3.5 gallons. Took a gravity sample and I nailed the expected preboil volume minus the extract on the nose! I then went on with my boil. The dunk sparge was great... MUCH better BIAB conversion than I got trying to batch sparge before. I did use whirflock, so we'll see how it comes out. Obviously BIAB without recirculating is going to be a little more cloudy, but small trade off IMO for what it enables us to do.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #57
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Say J,have you done PM before & did you bottle or keg? I bottle,& if I do get a batch that's slightly misty,whether from yeast action or a pound of wheat DME in the mix,it always settles out in 1-3 days...rarely 7.
This partial mash got a fine crush (I think I went overboard)that still had some chunkiness to it. I just took a 2nd Fg sample,& it's not silty,but cloudy/hazy. Looks like the really fine stuff is still in suspension. I was hoping it'd settle out in the bottles like my extract batches did when they had that lil bit of haziness to them. What's your experience with haziness from the crush?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #58
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I bottle. I haven't yet bottled my first PM. I have heard from others, that the lack of the recirculation step certainly leads to a cloudiness - or, more of a cloudiness anyway. That's the one criticism of BIAB I have heard. Actually, I guess that since I mashed in a cooler, I technically could have performed a quasi vorlauf step with the spout. I don't think the cloudiness will bother me in my first beer since it was a belgian dubbel. My last was an Irish Red and I'm not sure how that will be affected.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #59
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I was hoping that the very cloudy/misty stuff would settle in the bottles like extract beers do in my experiences thus far. I'm gunna order some five star super floc tomorrow for next time. It's added like the last 5 minutes of the boil for when it goes into primary to settle that fine stuff out even better (protiens & chill haze stuff too it says). Five star has been great stuff so far,so I'll be trying that from midwest.
Well,gotta take boys to library,be bake in awhile...

Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #60
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have heard from some BIAB folks that certain cloudiness will subside after a couple weeks of bottle conditioning. There was also a post on here where a guy says that by taking his dry bag full of grain and shaking the loose flour, fine particles out before putting it into the mash, he gets clearer beer. Haven't tried this, but again, I choose not to grind finer for BIAB than I would for say a regular AG session. I use the mill at the LHBS and grind everything the same.

Quick Reply