Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #31
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2008 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1486

Well,it's day two & no visible fermentation at all. Might just go to JW Dover & get a new packet of US-05 to pitch. Don't want the wort going moldy or other. Damn,never had this problem before.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #32
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Just took a look through the airlock grommet hole. Also took SG sample. OG was 1.044,now 1.034. But by taking a peek,I see some foamy,large yeast rafts...maybe mixed with some cold break by the look of it.
Seems like it knocked off 10 points before going belly up. The wort still smells sweet though,so it's likely OK. JW Dover opens at 10am,so I'm gunna get another packet of US-05 to get it going again before it goes bad. My thoughts anyway...?...
It's still cloudy/silty as well. Taste is unusually good & clean,but just a bit sweet. All cascade made for some nice bittering with the flavor already. At least that's cool. Just need to jump start it to keep it that way.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #33
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 245 Posts

Not totally sure I understand everything you have described, but it sounds a lot like you pitched your yeast and two days later the gravity dropped about 1/3 of the way from start to finish. (Starting at 1.044, I expect you to drop to 1.005-1.010.)

What makes you think there is an issue? Sorry if I am misunderstanding the concern.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #34
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Well,my quick check thermometer went south,so I had no way to tell temp of rw-hydration water. Too cool or too hot & dry yeast cells die off. It was just below very warm to almost hot when I pitched the yeast in that 1.5C of water. 22 minutes later,I pitched it. Forgot to check temp strip on FV. Was 72F by morning. That was yesterday.Today,still no action,& the yeast was floating on the top with some foam.
So by the time I got back from JW Dover with the yeast & had lunch,the floaters had sank & about 1/2" of foam was present. I pitched the dry yeast packet anyway,stiring it in with a sanitized paddle & re-sealed. What yeast was left alive wasn't doing much,never a bubble. Pitching yeast cream,the blow off should've been goin nuts. It always did before.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #35
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

walk away from the fermenter and let it do it's thing

yeast don't always behave the same way, you have active fermentation going on - you only risk contaminating it, oxidizing etc if you keep opening it up or add more yeast

Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #36
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

This was a new event for me. Never had these problems up to this point. I'm sure the extra yeast will be fine,as the cell count on the 1st pitch was pretty low. It just seemed from experience that it might take a little too long to get going normally again. Didn't wanna take the chance it would turn south. I only openned it once to re-pitch. I'm not one for openning & worrying. But this one just acted like it was bad from the start.
But yeah,it's on it's own now...

Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #37
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I agree with Terrapin and Freisste, it sounds like it's fermenting just fine. It's just not going b@lls out or anything. It's a third of the way done in ~a day or so, that sounds like it's right on schedule for a 5 day fermentation, which is what seems the norm with 05.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

When we used 05 before,it was starting the bloop bloop by 7am. Machine gunning by lunch time. Nada here,so I thought this must be my turn for something out of the usual to go wrong. I'm pretty sure it was about done,stalled,etc,since the top was clearing up & most of the yeast was clumped up & floating. It didn't look like it was going to continue,so I pitched again. I don't think it'll hurt anything,since that 1.044OG should winf up between 1.008-1.010. But the aroma & flavor are def hell & gone better than extract alone. And the cascade bittering does seem to add to the same as flavor & aroma additions. Man,what a difference.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #39
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

You may or may not be ok, but I'd go ahead and repitch. It's unlikely to hurt anything as long as you're careful.

In the future, if you can't be sure of the rehydration temp, maybe just dry-pitch instead?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #40
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Now, you know that bloop bloop (or lack thereof) is meaningless. From the sounds of it, the clumping, dropping and foam rising, that everythings going as normal. Yeast will congregate in small colonies on top as they reproduce, the colonies will then drop into the wort and go at it, causing the krausen to form.
I think man, that since the PM was a new process for you, you're way overthinking this now, during fermentation. I know that you're usually very much an RDW guy, and it seems that you're really stressing this one. I totally understand, I'm exactly the same way, but do yourself a favor and relax. At least until primary is over. I hate to see ya so worried over what seems like, if anything, a mildly delayed start to fermentation buddy. RDW and HAHB (or a Stroh's and a shot of vodka).

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply