Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1953 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1445

So would spring water have been better for this? I did indeed just say f'it & jumped in. nuthin left to it but to do it,Says I. Hopefully,the 3lbs of gold LME will add something of mineral content back to it. The instructions don't really talk about that aspect of it.
It's supposed to be as good or better than SNPA,which I really like. All very high marks from comments on the kit on midwest's site. So I thought this was the best PM kit to judge the outcome by. It seems I need a 2nd floating thermometer as well,one for ther mash tun & one for the HLT. (fancy words for my BK (5G) & a 2nd stock pot (3G) for heating 1.5G of sparge water). Better go check temp again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Spring water doesn't have that much mineral content either. More than distilled for sure, but not much at all.

You will have beer. It all depends on how high your standards are. I doubt it will be better than SNPA. You will notice differences in body and flavor for sure. Water quality and mineral content is a very important (and often overlooked) factor when designing a partial mash or all grain recipe.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Dang sparge water wasn't hot enough when mash was done. Grains in the collander on top of the BK with a lid over the collander. Not much help I guess,but better than nothing. I had such high hopes for this beer too. Now I gotta study this additive stuff to boot. Oh well...so much for this.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Nah, don't sweat it man. My first few mashes were frustrating, missed strike temps, sparge temps, murdered mash temps. The beer turned out well. You won't replicate SNPA, from what I understand water chemistry is very crucial to replicating any beer. But, the recipe is for a solid pale ale, which it will be. Couple of batches, and you'll have the process down. I noticed going from extract to PM that it was like starting over, same when I started brewing all grain. The processes are different enough that the first time will give you some struggles. Hang in there, you're making beer.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Yeah,it's like being a beginner again fer sher. Question is,how good of a beer? I was doing pretty darn good with extracts. The wort does smell darn good though. Like bready caramely goodness I got from using cooper's OS cans with Munton's DME's. So idk...this might just be good anyway. I do love pale ales the most,& have used a few different hops in them. This one uses all cascade for bittering,flavor,& aroma additions. Can't wait to get the sparge done & start the boil. Dang,I got the DT's like a noob again. Can't wait also till it's in the fermenter. Then it's beer me time!...

Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

No sense worrying about anything now, just learn some lessons for the next one.

Couple things I've learned over 4 or 5 PM batches:

- Stir the mash REALLY well before taking a temperature reading, and measure it in several places. It does not equilibrate as fast as you might expect, so it can be a 5 degree swing from the middle to the top.

- Adjust temperatures SLOWLY. If you need to bump up 4 degrees, better to make two 2 degree steps than to try to do it in one and then overshoot (I personally add hot water rather than direct firing, because I don't want to melt my nylon bag for BIAB)

- Keep good records of the temperatures you hit and refer to them next time. If you came out 10 degrees low on your sparge, remember to adjust your strike temperature up for next time. (This one is killing me, but I have had pretty good results with 158° batch sparges)

- Middle of the road mash temps (152-154) are key during this phase in learning. That way if you miss high or low, your error just means you get a drier or sweeter beer than you expected. If you're trying to mash at the very high or low end of the enzyme active range, missing might mean a more serious problem.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I am keeping notes on burner settings vs temps measured. Good way to put my new electric burners to the test. Boy.are these cheaper burners (than GE) great. Heat up faster & more evenly. But are harder to maintain temp than the old ones. Got to a boil in 15-18 minutes from mash temp of 155F on "9". Gentle rolling boil on "8". Did bittering addition a couple minutes ago. I decided per nordeast to save the LME for flameout,as usual with my extract batches.
I figured since I wound up with about 2.6 gallons of wort after the 1.5 gallon sparge @ 155F,that I'd get good hop utiilzation this way. Besides lighter color & no mailard reactions from re-boiling the LME. Good to learn that the new burners will boil 2.5 gallons plus of wort in my 5G BK. It surprised me that the 3" of hot break onl lasted about 15 seconds! Wow,never had one come & go that quick.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

invest in a digital thermometer - they will be much quicker to show your temp when you are trying to dough in and nail your temps plus will be more accurate at measuring different spots in the mash since the temps aren't always uniform

a good trick to help maintain your mash temp once it's reached is to either wrap your pot in a sleeping bag or place in a preheated oven (usually the warm setting is sufficient) it's a PITA to try to maintain mash temp using a burner, esp with a floating thermometer. it's easier to add ice or boiling water as needed to lower/raise the mash temp but even a few degrees fluctuation won't have too much impact

Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I am keeping notes on burner settings vs temps measured. Good way to put my new electric burners to the test. Boy.are these cheaper burners (than GE) great. Heat up faster & more evenly. But are harder to maintain temp than the old ones. Got to a boil in 15-18 minutes from mash temp of 155F on "9". Gentle rolling boil on "8". Did bittering addition a couple minutes ago. I decided per nordeast to save the LME for flameout,as usual with my extract batches.
I figured since I wound up with about 2.6 gallons of wort after the 1.5 gallon sparge @ 155F,that I'd get good hop utiilzation this way. Besides lighter color & no mailard reactions from re-boiling the LME. Good to learn that the new burners will boil 2.5 gallons plus of wort in my 5G BK. It surprised me that the 3" of hot break onl lasted about 15 seconds! Wow,never had one come & go that quick.
Oh yeah, you'll start seeing breaks like never before man. Thick, quick and violent. Just wait til you see the "brain" in the kettle after chilling!!
As far as "how good", well..... I know you were pretty adept at turning those Cooper's kits into good beer. And in a pretty creative way. Considering that, once you've got the process down, you'll be blowing your own mind with your homebrew! You have so much more control, and choice of ingredients. Not to mention, even the freshest extract isn't fresh compared to the wort you make at home with fresh grain.
I think you'll end up quite impressed with the beers you're making.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I was doing partial mash, I found that once I hit my temp I would pull the pot off the burning and wrap it in a heavy blanket with a lid on. If I started at 155 then at the end of an hour the temp would be about 152.

Quick Reply