New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #101
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 1136

I finally got some batteries for the digicam & took a pic of this ale in my new Thirsty Dog brewery glass;
http://
Beer turned out really clear with good hop flavor & bittering. Malt flavor's a little light,but present. nice head & mouthfeel from the .5lb of carapils in the mash. Overall a well balanced pale ale. Good kit from midwest for $25!

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #102
ChopperBri
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I’m kinda new to brewing. I’ve done about 6 batches (2 all grain). Can someone explain to me (very slowly) what the difference is between a partial mash and steeping grains in a grain bag for an hour? I’ve done a brew where I used about 11lbs of oats and dark malts + a lot of DME/LME. It all seems the same to me. Maybe I’m just not into the efficiency aspect. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #103
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The difference is that with partial mash you are creating fermentables. When you steep, it is just for mouthfeel, flavor, and aroma. You may have done a partial mash and not known it. Usually you mash at a lower temperature than you steep, too.

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #104
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

As libeerty said, the difference is *creating* fermentables, i.e., converting starches into sugars by pulling starches (from grains/malts) and enzymes (from lighter malts) into solution and holding them at a temperature where the enzymes are active. The enzymes facilitate the break-down of complex, unfermentable starches into simpler fermentable sugars (as well as some larger unfermentable sugars).

I would describe a steep slightly differently. A steep is simply extracting stuff from the grains/malts. No significant conversion takes place. It may extract fermentable sugars, but only those that were already present.

They're not exactly *different*, in that they overlap. A mash is a stringently controlled steep, usually lasting longer than a non-mash steep since it takes longer to convert the starches than simply to extract them.

If we're talking about a 5 gallon batch, an 11 pound steep is huge, but if it's just oats and dark malts it is not a mash because neither of those contain any significant enzymes. Basically, you must have some base malts to mash---plain "2-row," pale malt, pilsner, vienna, or munich are the usual options, because they all provide enough enzymes to convert themselves plus some. In crystal or dark malts, the enzymes have all been denatured by the roasting/toasting process (in crystal, after they've already converted the fermentables in an in-grain stewing step).

Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #105
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sowhattemp do u mash at?

Started brewing October 2012 with the Irish Car Bomb Stout (extract)

June 2013 Moved to BIAB/Partial Mash

August 2013 Moved to Full Mash 5 Gal MT

August 2013 Russian Imperial Stout "Time Warp Tongue Tickler" won Gold at local brew competition. Only 12 weeks from brew date!!!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #106
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mash temps are usually 150-160F for 1 hour. Typically 153-155F.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #107
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Also you normally get about 1 lb or or so of grains to steep and if your doing a partial mash you'll get 4+ lbs of grains to actually mash.

1 Pot will work with extracts kits were you steep grains, but with partial mashing your gonna need 2 pots.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 02-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #108
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I do biab for PM in my BK with a smaller 3 gallon kettle to heat sparge water. Works for me.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #109
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I usually wind up using three pots doin' (AHS) PMs. One steep/boil pot (2 gals, 160°F, 45 min.), one sparge/soak pot (2-4 qts., 170°F, 20 min) and a third to mix the L/DME (1 gal.). There's really no scientific/experience reason for this. I've heard that using DME vice LME will give you a beer that's closer to the intended color. I want to make sure that all the DME gets dissolved and not form a carmelized crust at the bottom of my pot.
unionrdr, Are you now a convert to PM/BIAB?

Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #110
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I don't understand the AHS PM instructions. Shouldn't the mash use the smaller volume of water and the sparge step use the larger volume?

Quick Reply