Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first off tasting wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
urbagurba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first off tasting wort

here we go. i'm working on a rye ale 5 gal. all went well with boil, etc cooled to around 75-80 (florida), aerated, and pitched a wyeast northern ale smack pack (no yeast starter - i know- i know !). after 5 days in primary- nothing. thinking yeast was frozen or dead, transferred to secondary. checked hydro- still dropping. tastes a little like beer should prior to bottling,but kinda a little acidic/pungent on taste. has been in secondary going on 3 weeks. still co2 leaving airlock. hydro says its done... i'm staring to see a white- milky like substance on sides of secondary. still have a little krausening on top. me thinks infection, but can't be sure. taste of beer has improved in last week..... do i wait another week or so, and bottle- or just go for it- rack to corny and see how it tastes after carbonation, or chuck it and use as fertilizer?....either pitching temp too high, or a sanitation issue? or a wait and see issue?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
urbagurba
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbagurba View Post
here we go. i'm working on a rye ale 5 gal. all went well with boil, etc cooled to around 75-80 (florida), aerated, and pitched a wyeast northern ale smack pack (no yeast starter - i know- i know !). after 5 days in primary- nothing. thinking yeast was frozen or dead, transferred to secondary. checked hydro- still dropping. tastes a little like beer should prior to bottling,but kinda a little acidic/pungent on taste. has been in secondary going on 3 weeks. still co2 leaving airlock. hydro says its done... i'm staring to see a white- milky like substance on sides of secondary. still have a little krausening on top. me thinks infection, but can't be sure. taste of beer has improved in last week..... do i wait another week or so, and bottle- or just go for it- rack to corny and see how it tastes after carbonation, or chuck it and use as fertilizer?....either pitching temp too high, or a sanitation issue? or a wait and see issue?
i'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy- tom waits

Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

try posting pics so that we can get a better idea of what you are looking at....

Thanks, don't stress it, it's probably fine...

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden-Valley-Wolfdog-Sanctuary/182770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
urbagurba
Recipes 

will try to get pic up this weekend. first time i've ever had yeasties movin this slowly- usually after about 5 days im good . f.g. is stable and we sit on itfor a few weeks and go to rack

Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
urbagurba
Recipes 

so no pics. got tired of messin around f.g. was good racked into corny, dry hopped with sanitized mesh bag with 4 oz of falconers flight- carbonating now at 35psi. will dump pressure tonight after force carb, and taste... then will sit on it for a few weeks... then we'll know if its good or not....if not- no harm no foul...

Quick Reply