The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first milk stout - good news, bad news

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
bobdozer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first milk stout - good news, bad news

I've had a batch of brewers best milk stout in the bottles 8 days as of now. With my superhuman self control, I decided I needed to try one tonight. They have been sitting in the dark right at about 70F. I pulled one straight from the box into a glass. Much to my surprise it was great. The aroma, mouthfeel and taste were all there. It was slightly undercarbed, but that's to be expected at this point.

The only problem is a slight bitter taste on the back of my tongue. It has been present on 3 of my batches that I have used nottingham yeast. Anyone else have similar problems with nottingham?

Beer makes us feel like we should feel without beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
jaytizzle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've used Notty on a couple of batches (BB Kolsch and BB English Brown, IIRC) and didn't get a bitter taste or aftertaste. Both were quite clean, actually. The english brown had a great hoppy character that I really enjoyed.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I don't use Nottingham anymore because of the that taste. Every beer I did with it had great flavor until you swallowed. Then it became a dry, water getting sucked off the back of your tongue like astringency.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
bobdozer
Recipes 

That's exactly what I'm having. I think after this I will be going to either liquid yeast or safeale. Had real good luck with ahs smithwicks clone with wlp-04

Beer makes us feel like we should feel without beer.

Quick Reply