*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First mash: Too hot!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
onipar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think everything turned out pretty great. When i wrote the recipe, I calculated 65% efficiency since it's BIAB and my first time doing it, but I ended up hitting 75% efficiency, which scored me an extra 2 points on my OG (1.058 instead of 1.056).

Smelled freaking awesome. Can't wait till it's done.

The recipe for Moon Hill Pumpkin Ale along with instructions and notes can be found here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/moon...4/#post3132505

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
Thank you, sir.

Yeah, I read that might happen. as long as it isn't a *ridiculous* amount of unfermentable, I might be okay since this is a pumpkin ale and I wanted it to ferment out fairly sweet. But not too sweet...fingers crossed I guess.

I actually have a cooler, I just didn't think to use it. Errrrg.
I use my 5 gallon cooler all the time... go to your local hardware store and get a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Works great to house your grains while mashing. I've mashed up to 10lb before and holds temperature like a champ! Cheers!!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
I use my 5 gallon cooler all the time... go to your local hardware store and get a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Works great to house your grains while mashing. I've mashed up to 10lb before and holds temperature like a champ! Cheers!!
Yeah, that's the ridiculous thing about it: I have *all* the necessary stuff to have mashed in a cooler. I have the cooler, grain bags (paint strainers from HD), and...well, I guess that's all I needed. I just didn't think to do it.

I've even considered converting my cooler into a mashtun, but it'd only be for partial mashes so I figured it wasn't worth it.

Either way, I think everything worked out. Fermentation took off running like a bat out of hell less than 10 hours later, probably due to my rehydrating *and* proofing the dry yeast.

Time will tell.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
onipar
Recipes 

I don't want to double-post, but I did want to quickly update that I took a FG reading (10 days into primary) and it seems my hot mash didn't negatively effect the brew!

The reading so far is 1.015, and I was shooting for 1.014. Full details and a picture can be found on the recipe thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/moon...in-ale-260064/

Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Bennypapa
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
I agree, with a little practice I should get better at the whole BIAB thing. I won't be using the oven again, that's for sure.
Only reason the oven sounds like a bad idea to me is IF you can't get the thing DOWN to 155F. MY oven won't go that low on the dial but I can get it to that temp easily enough. The lowest it will set to is 175. I set it to that, turn it off when it gets there, then use an external thermometer with a probe to read the temp. Open the door a few times until the temp is just above my target (Say maybe 158).

Just make sure your oven thermometer is accurate.

Quick Reply