The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #11
BobC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nope you don't need a starter! I would use a starter on beers with a high OG, 1070+. A starter only speeds up fermentation and too much yeast can have a adverse effect. I would grab a newer yeast packet at your LHBS and pitch both and forgo the starter.

Primary 1 - Smash 1
Primary 2 - Smash 2
Primary 3 - Belgium Triple
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout, ESB, Belgium Light.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
BobC
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sorry Ogri I didn't mean any disrespect. Beersmith gives me the same results and if I followed them I would always wonder why they make yeast packets so small. Plus the cost of making a starter....It's just not worth it.

Primary 1 - Smash 1
Primary 2 - Smash 2

Old 02-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #13
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwooder View Post
The date of manufacture is otc.2, not the expire date.

Actually, sorry, it's the production/manufacture date that's written on the pack/vial, according to the calculator, not expiry as I wrote. So it's still showing that your date on the package means only about 10% viability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Sorry Ogri I didn't mean any disrespect. Beersmith gives me the same results and if I followed them I would always wonder why they make yeast packets so small. Plus the cost of making a starter....It's just not worth it.
No worries, mate. Like I said, was just going by the calculator. Good to know that there's consensus between different yeast pitching calculation programs

Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #14
Kirkwooder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Nope you don't need a starter! I would use a starter on beers with a high OG, 1070+. A starter only speeds up fermentation and too much yeast can have a adverse effect. I would grab a newer yeast packet at your LHBS and pitch both and forgo the starter.
My "local" brew suply is 50+ miles away, I'll try pitching it in the starter wort and see what happens. It was the newest lager yeast they had. I thought it would be fine, because Weast says it's good for 6 months from the manufacture date.

Looks like I won't be brewing in the morning!

Beer is good, no beer is very bad!

Fridge is full and I can't stack anymore cases in the closet. I need to drink more!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #15
whiskeyjack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is the first thread I have read that recommended not to do a starter especially for a lager. That yeast is pretty old, you can always build it up by doing a 1 liter followed by a 2 liter starter or something like that, or get another pack and do a 2-3 liter starter. Lagers require big starters, especially if you start on the colder side of fermentation such as 46 and let it raise to 48-50. If you start at room temp and then immediately lower it to 48-55 you need less but may get some off flavors. Cheers

"Many mules have matched wits with me, yet almost all have failed!" Pust

Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #16
lemy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default 4-5L starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwooder View Post
4-5l of starter seems nuts to me. Thats 20-25% of my total volume! That will make a huge differance in the final product! Do all lagers need this much starter? Why does Wyeast recomend 1 smack pack for this 5 gallon batch? and why do home brewers still use it?

I must not be understanding something!
The starter is just to grow the yeast. A big starter like that would mean, after 2 or 3 days of fermenting, you would chill the starter to get the yeast to drop out of solution, then decant (pour off) the starter, leaving the flocculant yeast on the bottom. Just pitch the yeast on the bottom, which is a fraction of the volume. With Ales, a lot of people don't decant and just dump the whole thing in, and sometimes I do that, especially when it's only a liter or two.

-Lemy

www.reedbrewing.com

Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
MileHiBrewingSupplies
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Pitch More Yeast!

Hey guys. Yeast cell count is critical to an effective fermentation (which leads to good beer) and a lager at 1.040 requires around 285 billion yeast cells. A just born Wyeast pack contains about 100B cells, but that number drops rapidly with time. If it was made in October, it's viability is likely down by about 60 to 70%. So you will, indeed, need a LOT more yeast packs. I generally recommend my customers use 4 fresh packs for lagers if they won't do a starter. (Technically, you should do a 2 quart starter and pitch 3 packs of yeast with a born on date of October.)

Don't pitch the yeast until the packs are swollen, then allow at least 24 to 36 hours for the starter to grow.

I strongly recommend that you NOT cut corners when it comes to yeast, especially with a lager. Many things will happen to your beer if you underpitch...every one of which is bad. Most beginner brewers find it really hard to accept this ugly truth, but great beer requires a lot of healthy yeast. And saving a few $$ on yeast is simply not a good reason to risk the entire batch.

Brew Hard!

The Brewers at Mile Hi Brewing Supplies

BobC Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #18
BobC
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

well now you know to plan for a large starter for the next lager you want to brew. But I'm sure you don't want to drive for a couple of hours to get more yeast so lets work with what you have.

1st I would prepare a 1 liter starter and let it do its thing at 50F. after a couple of days pitch to a 3 liter starter, that would give you a 4 liter starter altogether. After 3 days begin your brew day. I know it's not the ideal way to do it but sometimes we just have to make do with what we have.

Primary 1 - Smash 1
Primary 2 - Smash 2

Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #19
Cellarbrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would follow the advice that everyone has given so far. I would add myself that you should think first of yeast health when making this first batch of lager.

Build up the starter, use quality nutrients in the starter and in the beer and ferment on the warm side. Then you will have a large amount of healthy lager yeast to work with in the future. My 3rd and 4th pitches have always made the best lagers.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #20
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Do you have a stir plate? Think you can build one?

I'm getting prepped to jump into lager territory since I have the ability to control fermentation temps easily (2 freezers rigged with STC-1000 controllers). One of the things I was told by more experienced brewers around here is that a stir plate and 2L flask is very useful, especially when doing lagers with liquid yeast.

For example, to get the 283 billion cells Mr. Malty says is needed for your 5 gallons of 1.040 lager wort, you would need 3.47 liters of simple starter. Put a stir plate into that equation, and the starter size drops to 1.3 liters.

Needless to say, I now have a stir plate, flask and stir bar ready for when I try that first lager (probably a Schwarzbier).

Quick Reply