The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First infected batch :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
sinoth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First infected batch :(

This is my second batch, and I'm 99% sure its infected

Bottled today, and it smelled quite funky. It smelled exactly like a rotten tomato. Tasted it and yep, rotten tomato. My recipe was as follows:

3.3 lb wheat LME
1.0 lb light DME
1.0 lb honey
1.0 oz german spaltz hop pellets (3.5%)
1.0 oz orange zest
Safbrew WB-06 yeast

I boiled the honey (spare me the "don't boil honey" speech for now) and the orange zest the last 5 minutes of the boil, and used a strainer to get the zest out before going into my primary.

Fermentation went normally, I kept the temperature down between 60-70, and left it for two weeks. The FG was spot on at 1.010. The yeast cake looked normal after bottling. The krausen looked a bit weak, only half an inch tall, but this might be normal since my fermentation wasn't very violent.

The infection took me by surprise because during my first batch, I made so many mistakes, but it came out fine.. my second batch went much better because I had learned a lot, and yet here I am sitting with infection. The rotten tomato smell is suspicious to me... when I brewed this batch, I had just received fresh tomatoes that had a few rotten spots on them. I know its probably a stretch, but could my beer be infected by that? If not, was it my orange zest somehow?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe something airborne? Keep it tucked away for a few weeks then taste one, if its still bad wait longer. There...is....still...hope....

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 08-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

Sounds like lactobacillus, maybe. give it a few weeks in bottles and try again. might not be what you think...the beer is still green.

EDIT: although lactobacillus can infect tomatoes, it has nothing to do with the "tomato" flavor. if it is indeed infected, thoroughly clean and sanitize all your equipment. if you ferment in a bucket, you may wish to buy a carboy or get a new one.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply