The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First homebrew tasting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Zonk007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First homebrew tasting

So I tried my first home brew yesterday, one is a wheat and the other a brown ale.. The has been bottling for around 3 weeks the brown ale around 2. Both were extract kits from NB. Overall they were good and tasted as they should, carbonation was a little light but not too bad however they both had a very heavy feeling to them. The viscosity was a little thicker than I was expecting. Is this typical of homebrew or extract brews? Should I be doing something different?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
dm1217
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

They probably need more time to carbonate. Also, all of my beers have tasted much better after 6 weeks or so.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 21

^

This, also after 8 weeks it's even better.........

Primary: Centennial Blonde

Kegged: Stout

Upcoming: Porter

I love Yooper........

Old 05-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

That's the beauty of homebrew, it can be anything you want! So, no, as a rule the mouthfeel or viscosity is based on recipe and process, not the fact that it is homebrew. If they were not carbed, that may have something to do with it. How much wort did you end up with? Did you make a 5 gallon batch and only end up with 4 gallons, etc? Other than that, if you want to list the recipes it may help track the issue down.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Zonk007
Recipes 

I did a full boil on both started with 6 gallons on the wheat and by the time we bottled ended up with 4... Did 6.5 gallons on the brown ale and ended with 5 after testing and racking I to the secondary ended up with a little more than 4

Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
reverendj1
Recipes 

If you mean you ended up with 6 gallons of the wheat in primary, and 6.5 gallons of the brown in the primary, I would think it would be somewhat watered down. IME most kits are based on 5 gallon recipes.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
zippyclown
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk007 View Post
So I tried my first home brew yesterday, one is a wheat and the other a brown ale.. The has been bottling for around 3 weeks the brown ale around 2. Both were extract kits from NB. Overall they were good and tasted as they should, carbonation was a little light but not too bad however they both had a very heavy feeling to them. The viscosity was a little thicker than I was expecting. Is this typical of homebrew or extract brews? Should I be doing something different?
Check valve(s) for correct operation. These valves keep exhaust gases from entering and harming the smog pump. Disconnect the valve from the outlet hose and manifold air pipe/hose. Blow through the valve then try to suck air back through the check valve. If the valve is good air flow should be in only one direction (toward the air manifold). If not replace the check valve. DO NOT install the new smog pump without replacing a defective check valve or the new pump will be destroyed.

I'm not 100% sure if this will solve your viscosity problem but it will most definitely fix your smog pump.

Sounds like you just didn't have the correct amount of water throughout the process.

zc

Old 05-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Zonk007
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendj1
If you mean you ended up with 6 gallons of the wheat in primary, and 6.5 gallons of the brown in the primary, I would think it would be somewhat watered down. IME most kits are based on 5 gallon recipes.
No that's how much water we started with for the full boil

Old 05-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
reverendj1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk007 View Post
No that's how much water we started with for the full boil
How much did you put in the primary? Did you take an OG and FG reading?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

that thick mouthfeel i notice in a lot of extract/beginner brews. i think it is a combination of the munton's ale yeast that is in so many of them, long boils of liquid extract, and beers with high OGs

can you share your recipes?

Quick Reply