First Homebrew question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyGuy77

Reaction score
I started my first brew a little bit ago and am woundering how I can tell if my yeast are still good prior to priming. I placed my wort in the primary one night went to bed and woke up to rapid fermintation; however, by that night it slowed down almost to a stop. By the next morning all airlock activity had stoped completly. The instructions had me keep it in the primary for a week and transfer to the secondary for ten days before bottling, but im worried that my yeast are no longer good and if I bottle they wont carbonate. The instructions said for SG=1.050 but mine was 1.060 and it calls for FG=1.013 mine is 1.020 so should I add more yeast to be safe or maybe use some of those carbination tablets added to the bottles? What do you guys think?:confused:

P.S. Sorry for the long post, and thanks:D

twirl the fermenter very gently, then give it a day or 2. hopefully that'll activate the yeast and let it eat some more sugar. without knowing the recipe, we can't really tell you a whole lot, though. 1.020 is sweet, as in sugary, not sweet as in great

1.020 is sweet, as in sugary, not sweet as in great
Its also not bad for a first time homebrew attempt. There is a lot more you can learn, RyGuy, but don't be discouraged. Just swirl it like lumpher said...chances are it will go down a point or two however with a 1.060 starting gravity and what i'm assuming is a pitched tube or a pitch of dry yeast, 1.018 would not be bad for a first attempt :) You're beer will be a bit sweet, but it won't be horrible. Let it finish for another week, check the gravity, and bottle it up. It will be fine and will carbonate just fine :)

Yeah no worries the yeast will be fine. One more week like RevTH said and then bottle it. Enjoy your first brew.

Mike

Back