Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Homebrew Ever - Yeast Starter Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
Michigone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for all the help everybody! And as to decanting, I meant it in the sense that even though my mini-wort was cloudy, there was still yeast on the bottom (almost sandy looking) and I poured off the cloudy liquid leaving a fine yeast like paste on the bottom.

Also, once I cold crash it and then pour off the wort leaving the yeast on the bottom, should I mix more sterilized (boiled then covered and cooled) water back into the yeast into order to form a slurry? As in, will the remaining yeast on the bottom have too high of a viscosity to pitch out easily?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
Zixxer10R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would just make your starter like normal and not worry about decanting the liquid off or chilling the starter. You won't have any trouble making slurry with all that liquid and you can shake it so get oxygen in the solution at that point too. That amount of DME will not influence your end product in any way, especially if you use a pilsner or something REALLY light bodied.

What are you worried about, making you want to chill the yeast out of solution and possibly introduce a second, unnecessary step of boiling more water? Sounds like you are making it more difficult than it has to be for no viable reason...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply