Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First home brew today !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
BronxBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default First home brew today !

Well it's been a ride for sure since the first batch. I made a American amber ale extract "no spec grains". Bought the kit from my LHBS. New to brewing and before I knew of the forum I brewed it per instructions. Used Wyeast northwest ale.

The whole brew day and fermintation went really well. I knew going in that a fermintation chamber "freezer with temp control" was a must. The kit called for 7-14 days in the primary and then bottle. I went the full 14 days and checked the FG until stable. I drank the hydro tubes and it tasted great !

Bottled using 22oz bottles. 24 22oz and one 12oz. Used 4.5oz of priming sugar according to a online calculator. They have been conditioning for a week. Last night I put the 12oz tester in the fridge.

Just opened the test bottle. Nice hiss when opening it. Filled the glass to see I nice "but small" head with remarkable lace. Smell was off the chain and the taste was amazing. For my first home brew and being a bit rushed. It was really good ! The tast was as good if not better than anything I've bought in the store out side of craft beers. Guys it came out amazing. I can't imagine it gets better !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Comgrats and welcome to the obsession/hobby

Brew On!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Congrats.

Let the brew sit for a couple more weeks and it will only get better.

It is best to get a good pipeline going so it becomes easier to let your brews sit and condition.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Woohoo!!!

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 08-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Congrats! You do have your next batch going, right?

Old 08-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
BronxBrew
Recipes 

Yup have a Bearcat Wheaton beat down fermenting "one week in". Should be ready to go next weekend "fast turn around brew". Have a IPA inbound in a week for the brew after that. Sitting on about 4 cases of empty 22oz bottles. The pipe line is started !

Old 08-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
SMc0724
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It gets better. Good job.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
cigarsmoker75
Recipes 

Congratulations welcome o the dark side...

Old 08-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
BronxBrew
Recipes 

Not to pour water on the fire. SHMBO is having company over and I'm maning the grill. She brought home a case of Sam Adams summer mix. Tried a couple of different ones. Nothing is as good. Last night we went to a pub and I ordered a local brew ale. Nada nothing is as good. Am I ruined ?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBrew View Post
Not to pour water on the fire. SHMBO is having company over and I'm maning the grill. She brought home a case of Sam Adams summer mix. Tried a couple of different ones. Nothing is as good. Last night we went to a pub and I ordered a local brew ale. Nada nothing is as good. Am I ruined ?
Totally. You're finished as a pub drinker as you will be hard pressed to find a beer you like as well as one you have brewed.

It's good to get a pipeline going but sometimes you have extra time and sometimes life gets in the way when you want to brew and your pipeline will be broken. To avoid running out of beer due to that broken pipeline, spend about $15 on a plastic fermenter bucket with lid and airlock. When you have some free time, brew 2 batches. Once you have them in the fermenter you don't have to rush to empty one so you can brew again, you have 2 brews already going. I just bottled a batch that had been in the fermenter for 9 weeks as I got "life" under control and it's good.

p.s. I have 3 bucket fermenters and a plastic carboy to brew in. I never have to rush my beer to bottle.

Quick Reply