New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Hefe - Off flavors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
RyanK2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Hefe - Off flavors

I brewed my first Hefe on 1/5 and I bottled on the 24th. I put a couple in grolsh bottles so I could check carb levels. I just popped one and it was carbed up good enough to taste so I poured a small glass. It tastes like a hefe should but then on the back end of the draw there's this lemony flavor that I definitely didn't want. Is this something that will go away with age? I thought I wasn't supposed to age a hefe very long and the fresher the better? Am I stuck with this off flavor?

Recipe:
5 Gallons

6lbs Wheat LME
8oz Flaked Wheat
8oz Flaked Oats
1oz Hallertau @ 60
Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068

I fermented at 65 for 10 days and then at 70 for 9 days. Bottled using dextrose and idophor no rinse as sanitizer.

Any ideas?

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Thats odd. The unmalted grains aren't typically found in a Hefe, but thats probably not what is causing the flavor. Wheat malt is known for giving kind of a tangy and sometimes lemony type of flavor. It could just be that.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
RyanK2
Recipes 

Well I went to my LHBS and told them I want to get as close to Weihenstephaner Hefe as I can with an extract brew. This is what they told me to make. Up front it's spot on, but the lemony lingering after taste is not.

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Give it some more time to condition. The beer is definitely still green so it may mellow out with age. Glad that it tastes spot on besides the tang though! GL!

On Tap: Heavenly Scourge Black IPA and Beecave Heffe
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Next: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale and Pliny the Elder Clone

Quick Reply