Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first ever brew play by play...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
ahoym8e
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first ever brew play by play...

Ok, I got my kit last night. Everything looks pretty good, except that a little over a cup of extract leaked out and got all over everything during shipping. It seems to be pretty water soluble, but has the consistency of old tree sap.

I have my 2 buckets sitting filled with Iodosomethingorother solution sterilizing. My yeast (American brewers choice W yeast "Activator" 100 billion cells) (I think I was ripped off, I counted them, and I only had 98 billion) is swelling as I type.

What also kind of stinks is that my ingredient kit came without instructions. But oh well, I likely would not have read them anyway.... Only the hops have me confused. They are labeled "A" and "B." I am going to jump to the conclusion that B is for bittering and A is for aroma, but who knows...

I have 3.5 gals on the stove, and dang, they are boiling already! I just put them on maybe 15 minutes ago. I guess my "maximum output" burner is really that.

ok, more in a sec

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 03:13 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I would guess that the lager volume of hops is for bittering. Good luck!

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:21 AM   #3
ahoym8e
Recipes 

ok, just added my extract, and turned the heat back on. Damn boiling water is hot. Also the extract that acidentally made it onto the floor and the bottom of my shoe (soon to be spread over even more floor) is STICKY.

all kinds of little snotlike particles have precipitated in the amber fluid. they are moving around in what looks like a slow motion rolling boil. I will wait a little before adding the mysterious "B" packet of hops, which by the way is hops pellets, not straight up hops, and looks like what you might try to attract a deer with. not sure if it's called wort yet or not. looks remarkably like puke...

ok the stuff now has lightly undulating dunes and valleys, which I will assume to be a rolling boil. here come the hops. Why is my yeast packet still flat?

Old 02-11-2006, 03:28 AM   #4
andyman
Recipes 

Did you pop the bubble in the yeast pack? The dunes and valleys are the krausen. Normal when cooking the beer.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:32 AM   #5
ahoym8e
Recipes 

yeast pellets are in. contrary to my expectations, they did not sink to the bottom or allow themselves to be stirred into the wort, but instead immedeately became a sort of pond scum, and refuses th ebe stirred in. HOLY COW what 's with all this Foam????

ok, foam seems to be under control. the pond-scum is still uncooperative, and insists on not being stirred in.

I was mistaken earlier when I thought I had a boil, btw... now it is boiling! I re-set my timer

oh oh, more foam
brb

Old 02-11-2006, 03:37 AM   #6
ahoym8e
Recipes 

had to turn the heat down, it was boiling so violently. My yeast is showing signs of life, yay!

can't really describe the smell. Hopefully the beer tastes better than tis smells...

Old 02-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #7
andyman
Recipes 

Make sure you keep stirring the beer. You don't want a boil over. It doesn't have to be a very aggressive boil. I take it you just added the hops raw. Did you put them into hop socks? If not, no big deal.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #8
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Keep a sharp eye on that thing because boil overs are a real mess. Once I get the boil going I never hardly stir it. The foam and hops seem to slowly go away after a few minutes.

Gary

Old 02-11-2006, 03:42 AM   #9
andyman
Recipes 

Make sure you watch the time when adding the hops. Without the directions, its hard to say what hops go when. Your first thought sounds good. B for bitter and a for aroma. Aromas usually go in about 5 to 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:13 AM   #10
ahoym8e
Recipes 

the wort has been boiling for 25 minutes now. the green pondscum has been replaced by a light beige sludge, which I can stir in, but it re-gathers after a few seconds. No more foam.

I am expecting the wife to make a comment about the smell. I have the windows open.

not sure about the timing on the Aroma hops either. I am going to add them for the last 5 minutes. I know the song says "dont worry, be hoppy," but if its the hops that I am smelling now, I don't want much of that in the final product...

Quick Reply