Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Ever Brew Day Done! But Some Concerns...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
natelindner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default First Ever Brew Day Done! But Some Concerns...

Hi all,

I just finished my first brew day ever! Most things went smoothly I believe but I have just a few concerns:

1. When all was said and done and I put my wort into the fermenter it was 20% less volume than I was expecting. I'm wondering why that could be when I used a calculator to determine how much water to use. I added back the difference so I also hope thats not an issue.

2. I've never done this before so is it normal that my wort doesnt really smell like how finished beer smells? It smells a bit like cheez-its mixed with hops.

3. When I was pouring into my fermenter I had a very hard time not letting the sediment from the boil get in with my wort. Is this a major issue? And how in the future might I keep that sediment out?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 20

1. You can lose some volume to boil off. How much depends on air temp & pressure, elevation, boil time, and how vigorous the boil is.

2. It doesn't smell or taste like finished beer. Cheez-its sounds a bit weird though. I've always found it to be kind of sweet & syrupy. Fermentation converts sugar to alcohol & reduces the sweetness.

3. Sediment shouldn't hurt it. I avoid transferring sediment by racking from the boil pot to my bucket/carboy.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

1. Did you boil inside or outside? What was your expected volume? If you didn't do a full boil you will have to add water to get up to your expected volume.

2. Wort will not smell like the finished beer. Cheez-its? not sure i've smelled that before.

3. Not an issue at all. All of the sediment will drop during fermentation to the bottom of the fermenter. In the future you can use a strainer to catch the hop sediment. You can just pour the wort into the fermenter or rack it with a racking cane.

My first brew day was terrible due to my poor planning but it will improve with time. Always make sure to take notes and reflect on the brew day so the next one will better. After about 5 brewdays you will have your process down.

Keep brewing.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 03-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
anico4704
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by natelindner View Post
Hi all,

I just finished my first brew day ever! Most things went smoothly I believe but I have just a few concerns:

1. When all was said and done and I put my wort into the fermenter it was 20% less volume than I was expecting. I'm wondering why that could be when I used a calculator to determine how much water to use. I added back the difference so I also hope thats not an issue.

2. I've never done this before so is it normal that my wort doesnt really smell like how finished beer smells? It smells a bit like cheez-its mixed with hops.

3. When I was pouring into my fermenter I had a very hard time not letting the sediment from the boil get in with my wort. Is this a major issue? And how in the future might I keep that sediment out?

Thanks in advance!
1.Did you take into account boil off? Everyones boil off rate is different, it took me about 3-4 batches to get the numbers exactly right, now its changing again because it is not as cold out, which causes more boil off

2.Yes the wort doesn't taste anything like the real thing, the yeast needs to do its magic, and everything will be all good!

3.About 50% of the time I let all the sediment get into my fermenter and I taste absolutely no difference from batch to batch. I wouldn't worry about this at all unless it is a very light beer (Pils). We would need to know if you have a valve in your kettle, or are you dumping it into the fermentor, or do you have a racking cane from kettle to fermenter.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

One thing to remember, it doesn't taste or smell like beer because you haven't made beer. You've made wort, so it smells like wort. "Brewers make wort, yeast makes beer."

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 122

If the beer ends up tasting like Cheeze It's post the recipe. I've had stranger beers at the GABF, for sure.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply