Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First dry hop experience

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
Hopheader
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First dry hop experience

Hi folks.

Thought I would dry hop a BrewHouse Pilsner. Though now that I've tasted it at several stages, tastes pretty good minus the carbonation. Were I to dry hop, what does one do----I've got leaf hops (Cascade---my current fave). I've heard just chuck 'em in the carboy (after a racking) and filter it out later--something about the beer having no oxygen so shouldn't have a problem with contamination from throwing organic matter in--

Any tips would be welcome.

Thanks!

mmmmmm.....hopssssssssss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Some people like to use a hop sack to keep them contained.I've only used pellets and you just "chuck them in" for 7 to 10days before bottling or kegging.Some people dry hop in the keg by hanging their hop sack w/ dental floss from the keg lid.Maybe one of those people will chime in after I bump this up.
As far as contamination is concerned--don't worry,hops are naturally anti-microbial by nature.I recently read an article about this in BYO where they performed analysis on dry hopped beers.Results were that even though some of the hops had bacteria on them none infected the beer in any way.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Hopheader
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna chuck the nice buds in the carboy tonight.

Quick Reply