Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First competition results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
DrummerBoySeth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default First competition results

I just received the score sheets from my first ever homebrew competition. I entered 3 recipes. They were a Belgian Tripel, a Witbier/Saison hybrid, and a RIS with Bourbon, oak, and vanilla. All 3 were extract brews, and were recipes that I developed on my own.

The 2 Belgians scored 27 and 30 on the BJCP 50 point scale. Not too bad for my first competition ever, I thought.

What really surprised me, though was that the RIS scored 35. I am psyched! Both judges agreed that it was an excellent brew, but slightly over-oaked. I think I will be re-brewing this recipe with a little less oak and bourbon and submitting it for the spring competition.

So, folks, are 27,30, and 35 OK scores for a first time competitor, or am I just fooling myself here?

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Those are excellent scores. Congrats man!

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Thanks, gcdowd!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Those are good scores. I only entered one, an American Wheat, I got a 30 and was happy. I got good feedback also. If I were you...I'd just age that RIS until Spring and submit the same one! The oak will mellow....

Old 10-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brewing an RIS now and submitting for spring isn't optimal. An RIS needs upwards of 9 months aging to be at it's peak, if not longer. I second the suggestion of entering the same RIS (assuming you have some left) in the spring.

Those were good scores, btw. Look at the level of judge and grant a little more weight to the upper levels, to a point. Also, look at the comments carefully and give more weight to the one(s) who are actually providing good advice and are knowledgeable.

I've judged a couple times as a novice and had vastly different experiences with the guys I judged with. When I was judging the IPAs for the NHC first round, the guy I was with was convinced every single brew we judged was using New Zealand hops and I felt pressured to lower my scores on all the brews. My other experiences were much more positive and I was only talked down in scores when I was clearly wrong. I've kinda got a bad taste in my mouth from the NHC and the piss poor comments I've received on my competition entries (along with other members of my HBC). For example, the brews I did for the Indiana State Fair competition: The IPA judges gave me general comments and were quite off in their guesses of malts and hops; Gordon Strong gave me a pretty good score on a coffee stout I did and the other judge gave me a low score. I gave Gordon's comments much more weight than the other judge, for obvious reasons. A guy in my HBC submitted a beer that was a Zombie Dust clone recipe and used only Citra hops. The judging he received, on a very good brew, was low marks and a high ranking judge telling him to use more Citra hops. (Entering IPA is hazardous, btw, and can make you want to shoot a judge)

Old 10-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have heard others say that any score above 30 or 35 is potentially a blue-ribbon beer. Just keep entering it in competitions until you get the right mix of judges.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

I would love to re-submit the same RIS, but all I have left are some flip-top bombers (grolsch bottles). I gave the judges my last two 12 ouncers for the competition. It is a quarterly competition, though, so I could re-brew and submit for the fall or winter round next year. I keep meticulous notes, so I should be able to reproduce the recipe pretty accurately.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I received 31 on my first competition brew, 27 on the second, and 35 on the third, so you are right on track

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
I have heard others say that any score above 30 or 35 is potentially a blue-ribbon beer. Just keep entering it in competitions until you get the right mix of judges.
That's been the case when I've judged. Some competitions require a 30 or better to get a medal. Generally, if you're getting a 35 or better, you've got a really good beer on your hands.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Congrats! All of those are good scores, especially the 35

Quick Reply