Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Competition!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default First Competition!

I am submitting 3 entires to my first ever homebrew competition and am really excited about it

I am entering "Malt Madness" which is an American Homebrewers Association sanctioned competition put together by the Lehigh Valley Homebrewers http://www.lehighvalleyhomebrewers.o...tion_2010.html

I am entering my Irish Red, Raspberry Red and Grand Cru to be judged. Not expecting to win at all but am looking forward to some "professional" feedback on my beer as "its good!" from my friends and family doesn't really help much.

Anyone else entering this competion or has entered competitions in the past? Any advice or stories to share about your experience that might be helpful to a noob like myself?

Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Rye Pumpkin Saison, HopFingers, Simple Saison
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Pliny the Zombie, Rye IPA, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm contemplating entering that one. My brother's house is really close so I could go visit my nephew and so forth as well. However at Bube's in Mount Joy is also having one and I'd pass it on the way to the Lehigh Valley shindig. I'd probably be entering only my IIPA that I make loaded up with citra. There's a possibility of my saison I just made but I think it's out of guidelines a bit.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would like to see some advice on this also?
What type of information are you required to submit with your brew?

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You typically just have to select a style category for it to be judged against. I've only entered one, but it was cool to get the comment card with tasting notes.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

entered my first comp this summer (iowa state fair). entered 4 beers (blonde, foreign extra stout, old ale, american IPA). got one 1st (the stout) and the blonde and IPA were both one point out of 3rd place and finished 4th. the old ale was 2 points out of third and finished 5th. very happy with the results.

as far as what to include, i'm pretty sure you just want the category and nothing much else. you should have knowledgeable judges who only need to know the category they are judging. it doesn't matter if it's outside guidelines, they will judge it as they can best determine. my foreign extra stout is technically speaking a russian imperial stout, but i knew it wasn't "big" enough to do well in the RIS category, so I entered it as FES and it scored a 39. i haven't gotten the sheets back yet, but look forward to the feedback for sure.

i would also recommend entering as many beers as you have available (as long as they're not really bad), it typically doesn't cost TOO much to enter a beer and the feedback should be very helpful. and even if you have drank too much of a specific beer and picked it totally apart, that doesn't necessarily mean a judge will agree with you and they might find your beer a good example of the style.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller
breakfast Likes This 

Quick Reply