Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Bucket Explosion with picture

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #21
jfr1111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I still ferment in buckets and now use two different sizes. 6 gallon for normal brews and 7.9 gallon for one that have violent fermentation like my Hefe and Robust Porter.

I don't bother with airlocks anymore and I don't have blow off problems even with Hefe's. I just rest a solid lid on top of the bucket without snapping it down. Works like a charm with no mess and no airlock hassles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EdWort#p/a/u/1/EJmchDK46mY
+1. I stopped bothering with airlocks (and carboys for that matter) around batch number 5 or 6 and have never looked back. Once fermentation is done, I just snap the lid down to minimize air contact, let it condition for how many days I want and bottle afterward. Unless you ferment in a room that is full of flies and critters or your usual beer needs month long aging, beers do fine with the bucket and loose lid method.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #22
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
+1. I stopped bothering with airlocks (and carboys for that matter) around batch number 5 or 6 and have never looked back. Once fermentation is done, I just snap the lid down to minimize air contact, let it condition for how many days I want and bottle afterward. Unless you ferment in a room that is full of flies and critters or your usual beer needs month long aging, beers do fine with the bucket and loose lid method.
I'm with you fellas. I had a close call where I caught the wort coming through my airlock and the lid was bulging. Thankfully I came home when I did or else there may very well have been trouble. After that incident, I just cover the top of the bucket loosly until the bulk of fermentation is done. This method works well for me too.

I stick an airlock on there when I do eventually lock the lid, though.

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Old 10-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #23
BeerWard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
violent fermentation like my Hefe and Robust Porter.
I should have followed your advice Ed. This recipe WAS your Robust Porter. I have been brewing for a year in a half, and only had one close call before, but one explosion and I'm a convert to blow off tubes. You said it would be violent and here is the evidence!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #24
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkman15 View Post
I've been doing bucket fermenting for about a year and haven't had any blow off issues. At the risk of sounding dumb, how do you hook up a blow off tube to the bucket? Just goes in place of the airlock?
You can put a hose on the center post of a three piece airlock, or remove the grommet on the lid and shove an appropriately sized hose in the hole. Lately i've been using better bottles so I just put the hose through the stopper.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #25
dezman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This happened to me on my first AG batch. After it exploded the fruit flys swarmed it and it got infected
great way to start all grain!!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #26
BeerWard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezman View Post
This happened to me on my first AG batch. After it exploded the fruit flys swarmed it and it got infected

I am not exactly sure how long it was left uncovered, but the way it was putting out gas, I'm hopeful it will be OK.

Last edited by BeerWard; 10-10-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #27
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neut2004
From now on, leave the lid cracked open at the start of fermentation. Even a blowoff tube can get clogged (and yours looks narrow), and you'll have another explosion. Put a towel under the fermentor to catch any crap that comes out of the bucket. You'll never have to worry about an explosion again. If you're worried about stuff (flies, etc) getting in, just cover the crack with foil. Bottom line: airlocks are evil.
I do this often as well, especially with those violent Belgian strains. I usually wait until it's going pretty good. If the airlock is going super fast or it starts whistling, I will unseat the lid for a day until it slows down a bit

Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #28
BeerWard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For an update. This beer is now on tap, and it is fantastic. A great porter. Thanks Ed. I will make it again, minus the explosion

Quick Reply