Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brown ale results,

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
calman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brown ale results,

Hello all,
My first brown ale batch is reaching it second month. It now taste much better and the color is improving, more clear. I forced carbonate it in a corny. It has about half an inch of foaming when tap, however I think it is not as "perfect". It lacks the "tingling" feeing caused by gas on my tongue (flat?). Or was that the "spice" addition that causes that tasting? And its a bit on the sweet side. Any suggestions to improve?
That is compared to commercial New Castle, other than that I am completely satisfied with the batch. A side note is that we almost empty the keg, that means 50 bottles of beer in a month! I used to drink 6/month before. Would this lead to beer-holic?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2006, 12:05 AM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Sounds like your recipe was based on a southern England style which tend to be a little sweeter. There are entire books written on brown ales. The style is easy to brew and hard to get exactly what you want. About 20% of my ales are browns and I'm still working on the recipe.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply