New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew...and wow, higher temp than I expected!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
emoutal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, I don't have anything much to add (I use the bin full of water and ice to cool my beer too), but it's nice to see someone else who goes to dan's shop (i recognized the recipe right away). I used to live in new west too.

BTW, the pub at the quay used to have grolsch bottles on special once a week, so they had a lot of empties. My buddy was able to talk to them and got them for the price of the deposit. It's worth looking into.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #12
Saint Aardvark
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoutal View Post
BTW, the pub at the quay used to have grolsch bottles on special once a week, so they had a lot of empties. My buddy was able to talk to them and got them for the price of the deposit. It's worth looking into.
Wow, thanks for the tip! I've been forcing myself to drink Grolsch...it's really not my thing...so if there's a way to get the bottles with less hassle, I'm all over it.

Fermenting: Unnamed IPA
Last batch: Infected :(
Coming up: Howto batch for a friend; theme bath for local HBC

Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #13
Casey27
Recipes 

I learned a similar lesson in my first couple of batches, and later on read about it in Palmer's book. The fermentation process gives off way more heat than I expected it would. I also had one batch go up to around 85+ degrees. As you would expect, I found that the combination of higher gravity beer and fast-acting yeast gives off the most heat. But this was really only a problem during the first couple of days when it was bubbling really fast. After things slowed down, around the second or third day, it was not an issue anymore.

Quick Reply