HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew went great, but I went wrong.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default First brew went great, but I went wrong.

So i brewed a caribou slobber, my first brew ever and at first it went great. The finished wort tasted amazing, using a hydrometer for the first time I think it was at 1.025 as i wasnt to concerned with that part being my first attempt. I did everything exactly as the guy in the video it came with told me. I pitched the yeast at 80 degrees(thought it was strange the package and instructions listed wyeast but i got danstar and danstar was used in the video) and stuck the 5 gallon carboy my pantry with it sitting in a plastic pan of water in case i needed to adjust the temp. This video is made for first timers and does not say anything about right fermenting temperature. I'm kinda pissed about that. It just says to put in a cool spot.

Well, what's cool? I live in Texas. My sticky thermometer said that the carboy was 70f so I was ok with that. 6 hours later it took off like a rocket! There was a thick cake like layer at the top and I was happy knowing that I had made alcohol one way or another. But now, 34 hours later the cake all but disappeared and i noticed the thermometer said it was 73. My apartment is at 68. I guess that pantry sucks. Thinking about the design of these apartments, I think my down stairs neighbor's dryer is almost right under my pantry, Lucky me. So yea im kinda bummed out. From what I read low 60s 65 is ideal right? Any reassurance or advice for my next ale? Was that od on target?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You're temps are not that far off, you may not even have any particularly noticeable off-flavors after conditioning. But yes, low 60's is generally a good ale target, though some yeasts may need 66-70 for best results.

1.025 is a bit high for this to finish, how long did you let it go for?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Let it go? Sorry I am new at this. I spun the hydrometer and let it settle for a few seconds, the reading was just ever so slightly under the 1.02 mark. So maybe I am wrong saying 1.025.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
gelatin
Recipes 

I mean how long did you ferment for?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

O. Its only been 34 hours. But Im mighty worried cause those crazy bubbles all but stopped in my airlock.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
gelatin
Recipes 

Try to cool it down a bit, and give it 3 weeks or so before bottling. You're going to make a good beer!

Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yay!!!! Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
timduncan200021
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

34 hours is relatively quick to take a hydrometer sample, I would say maybe after a week, but usually it's best to leave them in 2-3 weeks in primary so that even if the beer is done fermenting the yeast can clean up after itself and if your temps were a little high and the yeast produced a couple esters or off flavors it will help a little to clean that up as well

Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
NivekD

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Rdwhahb

Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
iaefebs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 572

Depends on the yeast. Different yeast like different temperatures. That is one reason why we have so many strains. Yeast activity will raise the temps above ambient. The little yeast guys are working and their work raises the temperature. You would have to post the particular strain you are using for a temperature guess. My thought is if it listed a Wyeast as part of the kit, $8.00 and sent a Danstar $3.00 I would want to know why.

There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball.
Bill Veeck

Quick Reply