Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew this weekend - Sparge question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
JWB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default First brew this weekend - Sparge question

Hello HBT community! Long time reader, first time poster. I have been researching home brewing ad nauseam for the past 3 weeks and learning everything I can before I begin. It already sounds like this will be an amazing hobby/adventure and I am looking forward to making my first all grain brew this weekend. I have a 5 gallon equipment kit already, but further reading and personal preference have led me to start with smaller 1 gallon batches; my kit from Brooklyn brew shop arrived yesterday.
I will likely be employing a modified BIAB along with their directions to help further cut down on rogue particles in my wort, but my specific sparge question is this: with the rinsing of the mash/grains (which will be in an open mesh bag on a strainer), they are saying run the wort through 2-3 times... Should the last time through be with clean water heated to 170? Or will it be ok just to run the wort though with no final clean wash.
Thank you so much in advance - I know this will be a great learning experience. Happy brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

After your mash, you can take your grain bag out and put the whole bag in a seperate empty pot. Pour maybe a half gallon of heated water over the grains to rinse. Pour that water into your wort. Then take an empty pitcher of something smaller than the pot with the grains and squeeze the crap out of your grain bag to get all the wort out of your grains....like squeezing a sponge dry. That should probably be enough but you can repeat if you'd like.

When I biab'd I didn't even rinse with water....just squeezed the grain dry after I took them out.

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1910 Times on 1681 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

My partial mash used 5lb of grains with a 3.3lb jug of breisse gold LME. Mashed at 156F for 1 hour in 1.5G of disstilled water (1qt watwer per lb of grain). I sparged with 1.5G of water to get 3 gallons total for the partial boil per instructions from midwest. All said & done I got 1.044OG from the 1.042-1.046 OG range stated. So this method did work out pretty good.

Quick Reply