Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first brew (train wreck?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #21
revco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep, sounds pretty close to my first time...except I managed to get wort ALL OVER my kitchen floor somehow on my first and I waited to go swimming in my beer until my third.

You'll be glad to know that the more experienced we get, the more beer we think we can consume while brewing. That pretty much keeps us all on the level, more or less. Take it from me, there are thousands of ways to screw up!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #22
mrh1965
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default update time

Update: I racked the beer, per the kit instructions, the other day. Should be ready to bottle in another 8-9 days.

Ultimately, how will I know if it's all infected and whatnot? That's pretty much my main concern at this point. Should I taste it before I bottle?

I'm also concerned that not much happened fermentation-wise. When I racked it the SG was 1.013, I believe. The airlock did bubble and carry on while in the fermenter but only for about 24 hours then it stopped, which was a little depressing. The house smelled so good while that was going on!

After I bottle this, I'll start another batch. I think I've learned a lot both by doing and all the feedback. I have an Irish Red Ale kit from Midwest on the way, it sounds good and is certainly well reviewed. Also got a nylon bag for the hops to keep the mess down a bit.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #23
Bishop916
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

A couple of batches ago I dropped the cap to the yeast vial into my wort, I just let it sit in there, figuring the angry lil' yeasties would eat anything that was on there.

Good luck on that first brew! It's a beginning to a hoby that will last a lfetime...

- B916

Fermenting: #21 Bishop's Notty Smash IPA
Fermenting: #20 Ol' Bishop's Jolly Holiday Grog
Conditioning:
Drinking:
Recently consumed: #16 Bishop's Tarbaby Coffee Porter, # 17 Bishop's Tall Two-Bit Blonde #18 Bishop Garity's Irish Red, #19 Bishop's Great Pumpkin
Planning to brew: Bishop's Great Pumpkin, Strong Scotch Ale

Old 12-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #24
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh1965 View Post
Update: I racked the beer, per the kit instructions, the other day. Should be ready to bottle in another 8-9 days.

Ultimately, how will I know if it's all infected and whatnot? That's pretty much my main concern at this point. Should I taste it before I bottle?

I'm also concerned that not much happened fermentation-wise. When I racked it the SG was 1.013, I believe. The airlock did bubble and carry on while in the fermenter but only for about 24 hours then it stopped, which was a little depressing. The house smelled so good while that was going on!

After I bottle this, I'll start another batch. I think I've learned a lot both by doing and all the feedback. I have an Irish Red Ale kit from Midwest on the way, it sounds good and is certainly well reviewed. Also got a nylon bag for the hops to keep the mess down a bit.
You'll know if it's infected. Ever leave (forget) a cup of coffee or something sitting for a long time? It develops this skin on top of it and smells really really gross. Same thing with a beer infection. I have not personally experienced an infection as of yet but many of the threads here have good examples. Basically if it develops a wispy furry layer on top, smells bad, tastes bad/sour, then you'd have an issue. I've honestly read of people doing worse things than you (scooping spilled yeast off the floor and still pitching it, no issue) and still having decent beer.
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #25
mrh1965
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'm worrying too much, LOL. I did search the site for infected beer, saw some nasty photos. Mine never looked anything like that! Can't wait to bottle.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #26
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm sure it's fine. If your gravity hit 1.013, it'll taste like beer, for sure. Leave it alone for a while, and start on the next batch--you'll finish that first one before you know it!

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #27
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Just as a FYI for the future should something like this happen before fermentation starts(dropping things in).

Just sanitize a strainer and pour all of your beer through it. The yeast will thank you for the extra oxygen anyways.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Quick Reply