Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew - Too Soon? - Results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default First Brew - Too Soon? - Results

OK, so I went ahead and tried one tonite. As I expected, it had good flavor, but not much carb. Some, but not much. At first I thought it tasted a little weak, but seemed better after the first few sips, and finished up quite nicely. Not as hoppy as I'd like but maybe that's the way an English pale should be ? I'll try another next weekend and see what's what. In the mean time I've got half a case of Sierra N. and a few Stoudts APAs and even a few cans of Yingy Lager to tide me over. I'll be racking my IPA to secondary tomorrow, think, and planning #3 for next weekend, I hope.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

How long in the bottle? Usually a week is the bare minimum for getting any kind of decent head retention, but a lot can affect this.

By the way, if you like a hoppy ale, try Stoudt's red ale - it's called Red Head or Red lady or something like that. Plus the bottles are perfect for your own bottling.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

English pales don't have the Cascade-in-your-face of Left Coast IPAs. They do have similar bittering levels, just less agressive flavor and aroma hops.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-16-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
How long in the bottle? Usually a week is the bare minimum for getting any kind of decent head retention, but a lot can affect this.

By the way, if you like a hoppy ale, try Stoudt's red ale - it's called Red Head or Red lady or something like that. Plus the bottles are perfect for your own bottling.
It's only been one week, so I didn't really expect much carb, but I had to try one anyway. I'll try another next week.
That Stoudts red is called Scarlet Lady, and is a really good beer. One of my faves is Stoudts APA. Thier seasonal springtime Mai Bock is awesome as well. I live like three miles from the brewery and visit fairly often.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
Daznz
Recipes 

Jhezzz mate leave ya poor beer alone give it 3 Months, in the bottle you will love it

Quick Reply