*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
uncleozzy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ha, sounds like this could be an "interesting" beer. I'll keep an eye on it... I can't imagine what this will be like if it finishes at 1.020. Like I said, I pitched a little too hot, and I hydrated it beforehand, and maybe I'll try to keep the temperature a little closer to 70 and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
uncleozzy
Recipes 

I did a terrible thing.

I got home from work and noticed the airlock wasn't bubbling (I know, I know), and it had been going hard since it started. So I said, what the hell, it's a learning experience.

Sanitized my thief, pried the bucket open, and pulled a sample. It's at 1.016 or so; maybe finished, maybe not, with the Windsor. No kraeusen, a few bits floating on top.

Tastes great, though. A little sweet, obviously, with just a little nice roast in the background. I could drink this all day long. And at what, 2.2% abv, why not? Hopefully it'll ferment out a little more in the next week, but even if it doesn't, it's still pretty tasty.

I promise to keep my mitts out of it until next Wednesday, at the earliest.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #13
Peregris
Recipes 

Yeah, that's what mine did too - it started bubbling only a few hours after being put in the bucket and then went like a machine gun for a day or so. Then, it petered out pretty quick also. You probably won't get it down any more, but like you said - it still tastes good. Call it an ultra-session beer. Or one you can have for breakfast without feeling guilty about drinking beer for breakfast!

This will give you something to drink while you work on your next, better batch.

Congrats.

In the Bucket:
Saugatucket Stout

In the Bottle:
Devil's Leap Belgian Dubbel
New England Cider
Various meads

In the Keg:
Belgian Pale Ale

In the Planning:
Saison
IPA

Old 10-11-2008, 03:42 AM   #14
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleozzy View Post
OG was around 1.032 at 77F (I need a wider test jar; the hydrometer kept sticking to the side and had nowhere to go). Wort was not too sweet, as expected, but roasty and with intensely vegetal (like fresh-cut grass) overtones, which I'm assuming will fade.
Give it a spin, and it'll stand up in the middle.

Fresh hops in wort taste like freshly mowed grass. That sounds normal to me.

Congrats, and get that next one goin' already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
uncleozzy
Recipes 

Figured I'd give an update since I wouldn't be drinking homebrew without HBT.

We bottled this on the 18th (FG ~1.014), with a few in plastic to monitor the carbonation. Used about 1/3 cup of table sugar, which wound up being a little more than intended, since we only racked maybe 4.5 gallons.

Chilled and opened one this weekend, and it's great already. A little overcarbed when it's fridge-cold, but let it warm up just a few degrees, and there's the roasty, caramel note to overpower the bite from the CO2 along with a little better mouthfeel. Really pretty amber-brown color (sorry, no pics).

The Windsor Ale yeast, although it barely flocculated in the fermenter, compacted like hell in the bottles. Really had to rinse hard to get it out; it would almost be hard to pour more than a small amount of yeast into the glass. This beer is pretty damn good already; let's see how it is in a couple more weeks.

AHS's Our Special Holiday Ale is in the fermenter right now; planning on bottling after 3 weeks or so, and 5-6 more in the bottle should have it ready right around Christmastime.

Quick Reply