Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #11
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Just dip it into the beer, let it fill, spin the hydrometer in when dropping it into the tube, and take your reading. Make sure you're holding the thief straight up. I usually hold it by the top flange and let it hang over the glass I plan on draining it into to take the reading, making sure that the hydrometer isn't stuck against the side of the tube. I then push the tip on the bottom of the glass to drain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Allow me to hijack a bit because I have related questions.

1) Looking at that thief, how can you stop the liquid from running out the bottom after you dip it in? Or is it just a given that some will spill out during the process of going from the thief to the hydrometer tube?

2) If you are using a carboy you can't just dip the hydrometer tube in since it won't fit (or at least mine won't). So can't you just use a siphon hose and even use your mouth to draw the beer out? It's not going back in the fermenter so isn't the danger of bacteria not an issue?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
Allow me to hijack a bit because I have related questions.
No you can't hijack this thread. j/k

Quote:
1) Looking at that thief, how can you stop the liquid from running out the bottom after you dip it in? Or is it just a given that some will spill out during the process of going from the thief to the hydrometer tube?
The thief has a little plastic plunger in the bottom. Mine drips a little, so that's why I hold it over the glass, to catch the few drips. To drain it, just push the plunger up or sideways, and it'll drain.

Quote:
2) If you are using a carboy you can't just dip the hydrometer tube in since it won't fit (or at least mine won't). So can't you just use a siphon hose and even use your mouth to draw the beer out? It's not going back in the fermenter so isn't the danger of bacteria not an issue?
My thief fits in my carboys without a problem. In fact, if you are using carboys, I definitely recommend the thief. So much easier, and less risky, than syphoning.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeerbrewer View Post
The thief has a little plastic plunger in the bottom. Mine drips a little, so that's why I hold it over the glass, to catch the few drips. To drain it, just push the plunger up or sideways, and it'll drain.
Oh, I see. I didn't know about the plunger. It kind of looked like my easy siphon so I assumed it was the same but now that you say that I can kind of see the plunger in the picture. Plus it makes much more sense for it to work that way.

That does sound like a must have tool. I will have to pick one up.

Quick Reply