New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first brew taste....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default first brew taste....

I was cleaning my keg lines and figured I'd hook up my first brew... I heard the Imperial style beers need some aging, but it doesnt taste that bad... its kind of bitter, but that was probably from all the hops that were added.. the kit was a gift from a family member and was purchased at a (not so good) LHBS... the issue is they give you hops to add to the brew, but then if you read the can of malt extract it already has hops in it... so its almost as if I added twice the amount of hops at there instruction... either way it still tastes good and is definitely drinkable.. so finally I can have a HomeBrew and relax... hehehee...

Jester

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Actually it's usually a good idea to add more hops to "hopped" extract, because that just isn't a very effective way to add hops to a brew. It's much better to avoid using "hopped" extract at all and use dry extract and the best fresh hops you can find. Hopped liquid extract is a shortcut that works about as well as trying to make toast in a microwave

Glad your first brew tastes good! Cheers

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I did that that a few weeks ago with a can of coopers real ale. It was hopped already, but I used some cascade(5.9%AA) I cant remember how much for 60 min. anyway when I transferred to secondary, it was very bitter then I was upset when I found that it was already hopped. But little did I know it was common to add more bittering hops. Anyway for some reason after time in the bottle the bitter bite is gone. it just went away or its very very faint. I dont really like the beer that much, but its interesting that the bitterness has almost vanished.

Quick Reply