Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew - specific gravity ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
mjc8870
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew - specific gravity ?

I just completed my first brew. It was a partial mash American Brown ALE from Austin Home Brewers.

I measured specific gravity and got a measurement of 1.042. The directions said it should be 1.050. Is this a problem. What exactly does the difference in figures mean?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Vuarra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The difference in numbers means that what you made weighs less per unit (ounce, cup or gallon) than the directions suggest.

The abstract is that you did not get as much of the sugars from the grains of the partial mash as ABH did. I may also mean that your measurement was not accurate and there are still issues with how you are mixing and taking a sample.

RDWHAHB

I do not measure any of my worts for the same reason. I cannot get a consistant way to get a SG to worry about. If most of your fermentables come from DME or LME, you will be dang close to getting the most of the sugars. If not, you can always try again, as you have still made beer, and it will still be good.

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply