New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew soon, need some advice about what to start with

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
Kevin K
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default First brew soon, need some advice about what to start with

If all goes as planned, I'll be buying my brewing equipment this weekend.

Would I be wise to purchase a kit such as this for my first?

Quote:
From the manufacturer:

Barons Premium Beer Kits offer you 7.5 litres (2 gallons) of high quality concentrated wort* to get you underway to creating a natural beer of outstanding flavour, ready to brew with conventional brewing equipment, with no need for boiling!Barons is defined by superior ingredients, state-of-the-art processing and unique user-friendly packaging which preserves product freshness.

With Barons, we handle the preparation of premium malt, hops and water. We even throw in a special add pack of finishing hop pellets, allowing dry-hopping for extra aroma and a further hint of flavour. You handle the rest - and it couldn’t be simpler.
Barons offers a range of popular North American styles in addition to a selection of premium microbrew styles that offer full aromas and flavours for the discerning beermaker.
See how easy it is to brew a high quality, deliciously refreshing beer with Barons Premium Beer Kits.
*You add 3 gallons of water to make up 5 gallons of beer.

Or would I be better off buying a kit like this:

Quote:
The reigning Australian National champion wheat beer. A golden yellow, highly aromatic Weiss style of beer with excellent head and vanilla overtones. This is a classic Weizenbier, clear and bright until chilled, then cloudy but golden. As with all good Weizenbiers, it tends to be very frothy in the early stages of fermentation. When fermenting Golden Sheaf it is recommended that a fairly large fermentor be used to allow for the early stage frothing. Color in 23 liters ebc 5.5 - bitterness 20 IBU.

To boil, or not to boil? What's better for a new guy? (that wheat beer looks really good - I love wheat beer.)

Also, a secondary question: Is it possible to add fruit to either of these kits to add some flavour? (apricot, blueberry etc).

Thanks!

Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Hmm...I'd recommend neither. They both use prehopped liquid extract. So, if you want beer that tastes like beer, I'd look elsewhere.

Boiling is mandatory despite what any kit may tell you.

I would not add fruit to your first beer. When you go to the pub, do you order the fruit beer? I'd make something like what you order. Too many new brewers are tempted to try to make a Blueberry coffee mocha porter or something equally "creative". Make beer you want to drink. I'd try for a good Pale Ale if I were you. A Porter is even easier.

The problem with starting out with some wacky fruit beer is that you really can't guage success because you can't compare it to anything you've ever had before.

It's really not hard to find a recipe you like, buy the ingredients, and follow the recipe. The results will be MUCH better than a kit, and we're happy to help with any questions here.

I'd recommend using dry extract, whole hops and liquid yeast. Most kits use liquid extract, dry yeast and hop pellets.

Cheers

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i would go with the first one, just because they provide you with some hops for dry hopping...im sure they have a wheat version available too.

i would not recomend adding fruit for your first batch, you might want to keep it simple untill you get comfortable, or familiar with the process. but you can of course if you want, just remeber to sanitize whatever you add.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Kevin K

Recipes 

I've got a lot to learn. I spoke with the fellow at the local brew supply shop on the phone, but he was an asshole. I'll see if there is another brew shop nearby.
My father-in-law brewed beer 10 years ago, but he just got the kits above (or something similar).
I'll find a brew supply shop, and someone who can recommend a good brew for my first, and report back.

Friday I should be able to free up some time to do some looking around in person.

Thanks for the input, if there is any more, I'll take that too.

Kevin

Edit - if some of you more experienced guys would be willing to put together a shopping list, I'll take it with me into the store to see whats what. Back to reading!

Thanks again.

Last edited by Kevin K; 03-08-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
Janx

Recipes 

Tell you what, Kevin...let's figure it out in this thread. You like wheat beers, right? Like a good clean American wheat? Dark wheat? Describe the beer you want to make and we'll do a recipe right here. I'll point you to the ingredients too. Then you can go down to the LHBS and buy what you want without the need for the asshole's help.

Cheers

Old 03-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
Kevin K

Recipes 

I love this place.

I'm especially fond of Edelweiss. (prefer dark)

I'm not fussy though, I've loved all the wheat beer that I've tried, so don't be afraid to disappoint me - it won't happen.

Thanks Janx.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
Janx

Recipes 

Hmm...I'm not familiar with those. It looks like they have a dark and a hefe and a clear one. Let's try something that'll get you in the wheat ballpark and we'll go from there. Ingredients have links to them so you can see what I'm talking about and order them if you want.

Ingredients:
6 pounds Wheat Dry Malt Extract
http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16421

1 oz Hallertau (or any German hops - preferrably whole - you want something roughly 3% alpha acids)
http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=17696

Wheat yeast
http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=19830

That's a basic brew right there. Here's what you would do:
1) If you have a big enough pot, boil 6 gallons of water and add the malt extract. Be careful and turn down the heat as it will want to boil over. If you have a smaller pot, then boil with less water and bring up the volume in your fermenter.

2) Once boiling, add the hops. Boil for one hour.

3)Chill if you have a chiller. Otherwise, add to your fermenter and bring the volume up with water as necessary to 5 gallons. Chill it as quickly as possible.

4) Add yeast. Ideally, you would make a yeast starter ahead of time. Or, more easily, use dry yeast and just dump the pack in. Most people prefer the liquid flavor, but it can be a bit harder to work with.

5) Let it ferment 1 week.

6) Rack to secondary and let it sit 2 weeks at least.

7) Rack to bottling bucket. Add priming sugar. Bottle.

8) Wait a couple weeks and enjoy.

This recipe will make a very light, low bitterness wheat beer without a lot of complexity. It will have the banan-y, clovey wheat beer character if you use the yeast strain indicated. It won't have any hop nose or flowery hop flavor.

If you want to add more hop flavor, you would add another 1/2 oz-1oz of hops about 10 minutes from the end of the boil.

If you want a bit more complexity, you could steep some ground grains in the water as you raise the temp. Maybe 1/2 pound of Belgian aromatic or so.

Maybe some others will chime in, but obviously, you can make a wheat beer from "scratch" without a kit or too much fuss. The beer will be better than with pre-hoppped liquid extract too.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you want some different characteristics (like darker, maltier, more bitter, more hoppy finish). We can work in anything you like.

Cheers

Old 03-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
Kevin K

Recipes 

Amazing. I'm going to go home now, and I've got to watch the kids, as SWMBO is going out to spend money. I'll try to check up on the site periodically.

Can't thank you enough Janx.

(The FIL is going to be very impressed!)

Kevin

Old 03-09-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
Radarbrew
Recipes 

Location: Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Kevin, I gotta ask since I've seen it more than once in the website, what is SWMBO? If it's none of my beeswax, like a pet name for your honey or something, then no harm, no foul...

Old 03-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
subwyking
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i believe SWMBO is "Someone Who Must Be Obeyed". meaning, the wife.

Quick Reply