Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew is skunked

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
kwaurtz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew is skunked

First brew, its not done fermenting, it'll be a week old tomorrow, and its obviously skunked. I was hoping with it being in the thick bucket it was in the UV wouldn't penetrate it. Is there anyway of saving it? Or is it gone? Its not a bad skunk, it just reminds me of a flat Heineken at this point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
rambler
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldnt pitch it just yet, especially if its not done fermenting. The smells your getting could just be aromas from the fermentation. What do you mean by "obviously skunked"

How did it get exposed? How long has it been exposed?

It's better to sit in the alehouse and think of church than to sit in church and think about the alehouse.

Martin Luther

Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
kwaurtz
Recipes 

The spot I have it sitting in is usually cold, and its within my constant view so I know that nobody is tampering it and I know that its safe. Its been in the same spot since I brewed it last Friday. When I drink it I get this taste similar to a corona or a heineken. The smell I recognize, it smells like bread rising. However, I am not getting a skunky smell, just the taste.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
Wiezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're beer is still too young to make any type of determination of what the final flavor is going to be. Leave it in that bucket for another three weeks and let the yeast do their thing. Taste it again before you bottle it and you'll probably notice a significant difference in the flavor. Let it condition and carbonate in the bottle for at least three weeks and you'll still notice a dramatic difference in the flavor. Patience is a must if you want to pursue this hobby. Happy brewing!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
ryandlf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In a bucket you shouldnt have much of an issue with light penetration unless it was in some fairly extreme conditions. I'd treat it like you would any other brew and bottle or keg as usual and hope for the best. Beers turn around sometimes and turn into something pretty sweet given a short period of time to age.

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA

Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Lots of variables here. First off, what beer did you brew, and what water did you use for it? Let's start there.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
kwaurtz
Recipes 

I was doing a simple Honeywheat. I used 3.3 lbs of a LME from Wheat, and used 4 lbs of raw honey that was gathered from a blackberry plant. I used Tap water that I had preboiled to throw off the chlorine.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
KYB
Recipes 

Hmm, not sure. Where did you get the hops? Maybe they were old? I was going to say it's the tap water, but you boiled it. That removes chlorine and temporary hardness, but it just may not be enough for a beer that light. Could be other components in the water making it taste bad. My light beers I always buy RO/Distilled water and add maybe 1/2gal tap for some extra minerals. I brewed blondes, creams, and wheats with straight tap and they were all bad until I started buying water. Also, let it ride out and finish fermenting and see how it is.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
kwaurtz
Recipes 

The hops were given to me by a guy at the shop I got my equipment from. Hes the one who told me this simple brew, They didn't really have any indication as to type, only a 7.9% on them.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
KYB
Recipes 

Was it My Old KY Homebrew or that place off Westport Rd? Liquor Barn can have old hops, but they are always labeled. I'm thinking it was the water. I learned my lesson with light beers and tap water. I always warn people about that when they start.

Quick Reply