Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
billk911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew Questions

I am in the middle of my first brew (English Brown Ale). It has been in the fermenter 6 days and am going to keep it in for 2 more weeks. I am then going to put in bottles at room temp for 3 weeks. After that is it ok to put all of the bottles in the refrigerator or do I keep them out and put bottles in there before I drink them? For example say i am going to have 4 beers one night, do I put four in the night before?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

From what little I know about brewing, I would put 1 in the fridge for 24 hours, then test the carbonation. If it is properly carbonated, then put the rest in the fridge. Keeping the bottles cold for extended periods of time (say, 1 week) will help the yeast flocculate out of solution - giving you cleaner beer. This is called cold conditioning. But, I would test one bottle's carbonation (at refrigerated temp) first.

That's what I do, but, as my sig says, I have completed only 3 brews, so maybe one of the experts here can give you a better answer.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
IowaHarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How much room do you have in the fridge? I do not have a dedicated beer firdge. I designate one shelf in the fridge that I occupy with my stuff, so I plan accordingly. That said, cold conditioning can improve a beer. And there are some beers that do not benefit from being cold. Lawnmower beer = yes, big belgian = no. Cool yes, cold no.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The longer you can keep those beers chilled, the clearer they will eventually become.

Long term chilling will get those beers past the chill-haze phase and make them clear up better.

Now...a lot depends on the beer itself. If it's a highly hopped beer (like and IPA) or something with a high gravity (like a Russian Imperial Stout), then they will improve in taste with extended storage at room temperature.

As for chilling and serving...give those beers a good 48 hours in the fridge before serving. That will be enough time for any remaining yeast to drop out of suspension and give you a cleaner tasting beer.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This of course AFTER they have conditioned for the 3 week rule. You are gonna looooove your brew man. Its gonna be great!
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Quick Reply