Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
gpogo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew Questions

All my equipment arrived for my first brew. I'm doing EdWort's Apfelwein recipe, but I have a few questions to help it go smoother.

I spoke to a more experienced brewer than myself about washing and here is what he suggested:

I have a cat so I plan on keeping her out of the kitchen as I can see fur landing in a fermenter to be bad news.

1. Clean kitchen, countertops, and anything that I may touch or may touch the equipment.

2. Clean all the equipment with soap and water and rinse.

3. Then use the no rinse sanitizer that came with my equipment and put that sanitizer water in the "ale pale" along with the top to my carboy and the airlock(3 piece) and the funnel.

4. My friend suggested rinsing even though it is no rinse. good idea?

5. Follow EdWort's instructions.

One question I have about the ed wort instructions is the yeast. He says to just pore it down the funnel followed by some apple juice. I don't have to "pitch" this or anything? Should I take the yeast out of the refridgerator while I clean to let it warm up to room temperature? Also(I'm at work so this may be a silly question I can't see the airlock from here) how full do I fill the airlock with vodka? I think that covers all of my major concerns.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpogo
All my equipment arrived for my first brew. I'm doing EdWort's Apfelwein recipe, but I have a few questions to help it go smoother.

I spoke to a more experienced brewer than myself about washing and here is what he suggested:

I have a cat so I plan on keeping her out of the kitchen as I can see fur landing in a fermenter to be bad news.

1. Clean kitchen, countertops, and anything that I may touch or may touch the equipment.

2. Clean all the equipment with soap and water and rinse.

3. Then use the no rinse sanitizer that came with my equipment and put that sanitizer water in the "ale pale" along with the top to my carboy and the airlock(3 piece) and the funnel.

4. My friend suggested rinsing even though it is no rinse. good idea?

5. Follow EdWort's instructions.

One question I have about the ed wort instructions is the yeast. He says to just pore it down the funnel followed by some apple juice. I don't have to "pitch" this or anything? Should I take the yeast out of the refridgerator while I clean to let it warm up to room temperature? Also(I'm at work so this may be a silly question I can't see the airlock from here) how full do I fill the airlock with vodka? I think that covers all of my major concerns.
Sounds like you're ready.

The airlock has a hard to see line, about 2/3rds full.

Just drop the yeast in dry, you can take it out of the fridge now. Dry yeast really doesn't need to be chilled for short durations.

Don't forget to take a hydrometer reading and get ready for a lengthy fermentation.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
Jetsers
Recipes 

at least 5 weeks of waiting if you keg, but the EdWorts stuff is so worth it.

Up Next: Pumpkin Wheat
Planning: cintout

Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

if the sanitizer is no rinse...DO NOT RINSE. if you rinse, you reintroduce bacteria, mold spores and wild yeast present in your tap water.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-25-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
gpogo
Recipes 

One more question, after sanitizing do I need to wait for it to dry or can I just get one with the apfelwein making?

Old 08-25-2007, 02:13 AM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpogo
One more question, after sanitizing do I need to wait for it to dry or can I just get one with the apfelwein making?
No need to dry. Use it wet and foamy if applicable.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
gpogo
Recipes 

Well thanks for your help. Especially thanks to EdWort for this great recipe. Tonight went alright, not as smoothly as hoped. Though it is a first brew so it was as smooth as I think it could have went.

Anyways here it is set up in a closet:

That was at 9:43pm CST. Now at 1:43 there is a bit of bubbles on the top, though the airlock is not yet bubbling. Any idea about how long that should take to start going?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i think mine took 24 hours or so before it became good and vigorous, but I wasn't watching it the whole time either. Just kinda went to work and came back home and poof! bubbles everywhere, sounded like dumping pop rocks in a coke. Oh, and don't worry about the sulfury smell that will soon be upon you....

Old 08-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
max-the-knife
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Question for gpogo, is the picture you submitted with you last post your primary fermenter? If so, the 3-piece airlock will not handle a vigorous fermentation and karausen that forms. You might want to consider a blow-off tube.

SECONDARY #1: empty
SECONDARY #2:
empty
KEGGED: American Lite Lager
FUTURE PROJECTS:[/
COLOR] IPA, Bock , Black Lager

Old 08-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, make sure the soap you are using does not have any dyes or perfumes in it.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Quick Reply