Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
JWestTexas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew Question

So I am working on my first brew and it seems I've been running into nothing but trouble. Had the airlock blow off and that caused all sorts of mess. Very sparse fermentation and it isn't even fermenting at all right now after a week. It's an Irish Stout and I just took a hydrometer reading at 4.3% ABV. It's about .5% off of what the kit told me it should be. Tasted the sample I took for the reading, and it was rough. Tasted great, but no smoothness. I was wondering: would bottling right now would mellow it out after a week or two or should I leave it another week in the carboy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Let it sit for a few days. Take a reading. If its stayed the same. Bottle. The smoothness will ccome. Carbonation still surprises me how it can change flavors and mouthfeel so much

Brew on folks!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 1563 Posts
Likes Given: 5813

More time in the ferementer (to a point) will never hurt your beer. I'd take another gravity reading in a couple days to see if it's changed. If it hasn't fermentation is done and you're good to bottle. If it has, continue taking gravity samples every couple days until it doesn't change from one reading to the next. Good luck with your brew and welcome to the forum.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
JWestTexas
Recipes 

Okay, I appreciate the advice and I will take another reading later on. Thanks again.

Quick Reply