First Brew Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWestTexas

Reaction score
So I am working on my first brew and it seems I've been running into nothing but trouble. Had the airlock blow off and that caused all sorts of mess. Very sparse fermentation and it isn't even fermenting at all right now after a week. It's an Irish Stout and I just took a hydrometer reading at 4.3% ABV. It's about .5% off of what the kit told me it should be. Tasted the sample I took for the reading, and it was rough. Tasted great, but no smoothness. I was wondering: would bottling right now would mellow it out after a week or two or should I leave it another week in the carboy?

Let it sit for a few days. Take a reading. If its stayed the same. Bottle. The smoothness will ccome. Carbonation still surprises me how it can change flavors and mouthfeel so much

More time in the ferementer (to a point) will never hurt your beer. I'd take another gravity reading in a couple days to see if it's changed. If it hasn't fermentation is done and you're good to bottle. If it has, continue taking gravity samples every couple days until it doesn't change from one reading to the next. Good luck with your brew and welcome to the forum.

Okay, I appreciate the advice and I will take another reading later on. Thanks again.

Back