Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
I was storing it in a closet in my downstairs. I brought it upstairs in front of a vent and it started going again. I guess part of it was a temperature issue? Will this cause problems with with my end results?

What do people do to regulate temperature during fermentation? Do people ever use a wine fridge and remove the shelving or any other ideas?
You don't need to warm it up, unless it was below about 60 degrees where it was. Putting it in a warmer place now is causing bubbling because the warmer temperature is causing the co2 to off-gas, not because it needed the warmer temperature to ferment.

I keep my fermenters in a room that is about 60-62 degrees. That works great for most ales. Anything over about 70 degrees is too warm. Keep in mind that fermentation itself produces heat, and sometimes the actual temperature of the fermenting beer is 3-10 degrees warmer than the ambient air temperature. A "stick on" thermometer, like for aquariums, helps you see what the temperature of the beer inside is.

Some people use swamp coolers, some use fridges, some ferment in their basement, etc. Generally, a room temperature in the 60s is fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
GroosBrewz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
I got a brewing kit and the True Brew IPA "Maestro" kit for Christmas. Last Saturday, I brewed and put in the primary. I've been keeping an eye on the airlock over this first week and noticed that today there isn't any more bubbling going on. Should I be concerned? I was planning on putting it in the secondary this weekend.
All this talk about yeast and ferm temps may be a moot point. It could be that your beer is actually done.. I brewed a beer on saturday as well with an OG of 1.054 and I am only getting one bubble every 45 seconds or so and all visible signs have ceased. I think your beer is probably fine, but just to be sure start taking a gravity reading every day.. If the gravity is the same for about 3 days, it's done..

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply