Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
greensparrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew Question

I got a brewing kit and the True Brew IPA "Maestro" kit for Christmas. Last Saturday, I brewed and put in the primary. I've been keeping an eye on the airlock over this first week and noticed that today there isn't any more bubbling going on. Should I be concerned? I was planning on putting it in the secondary this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
mr_clean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ignore the airlock,take a reading with the hydrometer.Its probably done.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
HomerJR
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Be patient. Give it a few more days, let the yeast finish their work. Then check with your hydrometer. When you get the same reading for 3 consecutive days, rack to your secondary.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If FGs not there yet, warm up the brew to around 70F to see if it gets going again.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
greensparrow
Recipes 

My beginning gravity was 1.050 so if I take a reading and its at the final gravity by the instructions (1.012-1.0140) I'm good? Or take a reading a few days in a row?

At that point I should transfer to the secondary and about how long would you recommend before bottling?

What's the best temperature during fermenting? I think I've been having a tough time getting there in the winter of Massachusetts.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
HomerJR
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
My beginning gravity was 1.050 so if I take a reading and its at the final gravity by the instructions (1.012-1.0140) I'm good? Or take a reading a few days in a row?

At that point I should transfer to the secondary and about how long would you recommend before bottling?

What's the best temperature during fermenting? I think I've been having a tough time getting there in the winter of Massachusetts.
I'd take a couple of readings a couple days apart. The FG listed in the recipe is merely a guesstimate.

When fermentation is done, you can rack to the secondary, let it clear for a week or two, then bottle. A lot of us don't secondary, however, and just let the brew sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks, then bottle.

Temperature depends on the yeast and style, but generally speaking, you'll do alright at around 62-65 degrees. If you know what kind of yeast you've got, you can check on the manufacturer's website to see what they suggest. Too warm and you can end up with off flavors, too cool and your yeast can drop out too quickly.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

The general consensus is to take a reading a few days in a row and if it stays the same then its done.
If you aren't adding anything during the secondary, you only really need to leave it until it clears or you can go by the 1-2-3 rule (1 wk primary, 2 wk secondary, 3 wk bottle). Depends if you want bottle or carboy conditioning and how long you want to wait.
Ale fermentation temperatures are typically 65-70F.

edit: you're a quick one Homer

Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #8
greensparrow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
If FGs not there yet, warm up the brew to around 70F to see if it gets going again.
I was storing it in a closet in my downstairs. I brought it upstairs in front of a vent and it started going again. I guess part of it was a temperature issue? Will this cause problems with with my end results?

What do people do to regulate temperature during fermentation? Do people ever use a wine fridge and remove the shelving or any other ideas?

Last edited by greensparrow; 01-14-2010 at 01:19 AM.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
dcp27
Recipes 

Two easy ways to help regulate are 1) drape a wet t-shirt/towel over it or 2) submerge it in a bath of water. Both are typically done for the summer, but I suppose they'd work in the winter as well. I've used #2 a few times with good results. Basically, the water takes longer to change temperature than ambient air so it doesn't flucuate much.
MA is a definately a pain in the winter. I ended up having to check a few areas in my house with a thermometer throughout the day to figure out where was most stable. Higher floors in the winter, lower floors in the summer.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
I was storing it in a closet in my downstairs. I brought it upstairs in front of a vent and it started going again. I guess part of it was a temperature issue? Will this cause problems with with my end results?

What do people do to regulate temperature during fermentation? Do people ever use a wine fridge and remove the shelving or any other ideas?
Shouldn't cause any problems.. Many people have had stuck fermentations and been able to rouse the yeast by shaking up the carboy.. Are you sure it was a temperature issue and not due to under-aerated wort? Perhaps when you hauled your carboy upstairs, you shook it up enough to rouse up some yeast and get them going again?

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Quick Reply