Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew in the primary...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Kaboomcult
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew in the primary...

Finally got the time to do my first brew today, a red ale. Everything went well other than my girlfriend throwing up from the smell when she woke up... The smell of wort seems to be either you love it or hate it kind of then... Trying to keep the temp up for fermentation, should 65F be good? Can't wait to get it into the secondary then to bottles. I really think I am going to enjoy this new hobby...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 16

That's a pretty extreme reaction to the smell of wort. Luckily, my wife and I both love it.
Sounds like you know what you are doing. 65 deg is a good fermentation temperature for most ales, although you may consider letting it rise a little as fermentation winds down to get a point or two extra attenuation.
Don't forget to give the beer plenty of time in primary, either. Rushing to a (often unnecessary) secondary is the cause for a large percentage of "stuck fermentation" posts on these forums.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 04-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

She pregnant?

Ha just kidding...Welcome!!!

Quick Reply