New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew not going as expected.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
alexipa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I tasted the beer again today before bottling and the strange taste is now almost completely gone. Thanks for the advice to just wait it out!

I also brewed my second batch, and this time I:
- used a lot more extract
- upped the hops quite a bit
- bought and used beersmith, adjusted my recipe to 7% ABV and the right color/IBU
- used starsan on everything
- used a dry yeast

This one, I expect, will come out unbelievably better than my first (which is still quite drinkable). Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
AdamPag
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

8 days is super green to judge anything by, I dont take a gravity reading until 14-21 days just to be on the safe side (less chance of contamination and extra time for the yeasties to clean up their mess!)

By solvent-ish, Ive had that smell nearly knock me out the 1st time I open the bucket and stick my head in, if the taste went away its likely natural esters that are a by-product and will clean away with the yeast on the cake long enough (smells/tastes like green apples?)

Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
alexipa
Recipes 

Yeah I've definitely learned my lesson. After a couple weeks in the bottles, it tastes good (not great).

The second batch, still fermenting, already tastes absolutely incredible. I can't believe I made it...

Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1072 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexipa View Post
Yeah I've definitely learned my lesson. After a couple weeks in the bottles, it tastes good (not great).

The second batch, still fermenting, already tastes absolutely incredible. I can't believe I made it...
Yeah, green beer gets all of us when we first start out. I remember my first brew, tried a bottle after a week (d@mn kit instructions) and was like 'what'd I do?' after two weeks, it got better and after three it was a great beer. One of the hardest things for new brewers is patience, because you're so excited that you can make beer at home. Once you build up a pipeline, it'll get really easy to leave beers be for as long as they need.
Awesome to hear your brew turned out really good! they'll just keep getting better as you get more into it and get your process down.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 1136

66F is a good,middle of the road temp for ale yeasts. And 2oz of hops is pretty good for pale ales. It's the American hop head mentality that always shouts MORE HOPS!!! Especially after drinking imperial IPA's that seem to be all the rage now. I think 2oz of hops makes the average ale more drinkable. My stomach hurts if I keep pounding IPA's & the like. Not so with a properly hopped pale ale.

Quick Reply