Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew; Not getting warm fuzzies...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
F250
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer_stan View Post
Merry Christmas!

Can someone explain (as you would to a 5 year old) how I get liquid from my sealed fermenter into a hydrometer? Reviewing Appendix A of 'How To Brew' (how to use a Hydrometer) seems to assume you already know this.

I have an auto-syphon, some tubing, and a hydrometer.
Stan, if you have a copy of Palmer's book, read it!!! Don't just thumb through it, read it!!!

Good luck.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #22
Onlooker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Since you mentioned that you have a bucket for a fermenter, take the lid off, sanitize something (turkey baster works, wine thief works, measuring cup works, coffee cup works) to remove a sample for testing , then put the lid back on loosely. If your hydrometer says it didn't ferment, add yeast.
I bolded the above. Don't waste your money buying a wine thief or whatever. Just use a cup of some sort, well sanitized, of course, and take about 5 oz out of the fermenter (unless you've got a really big hydrometer jar/tube, then more), being careful not to touch the wort with anything not sanitized (of course).

The thief is only necessary for a carboy.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #23
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

The "theif" is great though... your hydrometer fits right in it and it's easy to sanitize. Maybe not necessary, but there's a lot of unnecessary stuff that is just handy... especially for beginners that are concerned about sanitization (i.e. me!)

Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #24
Onlooker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro74 View Post
The "theif" is great though... your hydrometer fits right in it and it's easy to sanitize. Maybe not necessary, but there's a lot of unnecessary stuff that is just handy... especially for beginners that are concerned about sanitization (i.e. me!)
Hey, no problem. I'm just pointing out that you don't need to buy one, as it's often stated (especially by those selling them, of course). There are many things that get touted, and then bought by beginners, that just aren't necessary. Many would like to know before wasting money.

But I do have to ask: what does sanitization have to do with it? You can take a sample with other things (as pointed out previously) without one; at no cost to sanitary practices.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #25
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlooker

But I do have to ask: what does sanitization have to do with it? You can take a sample with other things (as pointed out previously) without one; at no cost to sanitary practices.
I don't want to hijack the thread... but the point is just that it's easy to sanitize. It's an uncomplicated handy tool that I, as a beginner, find useful. If it was hard to sanitize, it would not survive as a product. Yes, you are correct... you don't "need" it. But the original post had mentioned questions about sanitization... (because it is a beginner forum) and a separate one about how to get a hydrometer sample.

Merely stating my opinion... not trying to tell anyone my way is the right or only way...

Quick Reply