Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew and No Bubbles in Airlock...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
JDRanalli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew and No Bubbles in Airlock...

I attempted my first home brew yesterday and I still have yet to see bubbles in the airlock. It has been almost 24 hours since it was transferred to the fermenting bucket.

Can this have something to do with the fact it did not come to a constant rolling boil? I have to use an electric stove and getting it to a boil was nearly impossible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 197

It would be helpful to know the current temperature, yeast variety used, and starting gravity for this brew.

Also, sometimes those buckets do not seal well. Best measure of fermentation activity is a gravity reading.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/
Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRanalli View Post
I attempted my first home brew yesterday and I still have yet to see bubbles in the airlock. It has been almost 24 hours since it was transferred to the fermenting bucket.

Can this have something to do with the fact it did not come to a constant rolling boil? I have to use an electric stove and getting it to a boil was nearly impossible.
What temp did you pitch at? What is the temp in your fermentation area? Did you use dry yeast from a kit? Too many questions to shoot you in a specific direction. Many off the shelf kits may have older dry yeast packets. I assume you made an extract kit for your first attempt.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Depending on your cleaning / sanitation /temperatures /yeast/leaks/etc ......you may have a very slow yeast which may spark up soon or you may have shocked and have to repitch soon... we need more info to help you out

Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I had this same concern 2 weeks ago, and it worked out fine. As you will hear repeatedly here, and as you will soon be telling others, airlock activity is not your fermentation gauge. My first 2 5-gal brews bubbled like crazy right away.
My 3rd...nothing. But 2 weeks later, I measured the gravity and compared to the starting gravity advertised with my kit, I was fine. (tasting the sample from the measurement confirmed the fact that there was alcohol in my brew.) The link above to the sticky thread is your friend! Happy brewing!!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
JDRanalli
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
It would be helpful to know the current temperature, yeast variety used, and starting gravity for this brew.

Also, sometimes those buckets do not seal well. Best measure of fermentation activity is a gravity reading.
Current temp: 73 degrees
Pitch temp: 72 degrees
Yeast used was a Wyeast German Wheat yeast
Starting Gravity was 1.050

This was a simple Wheat ale kit

The bucket is extremely tough to seal but we made sure it was completely shut.

Just concerned

Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #8
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 136

When I first started, I almost wore out the stairs to the basement checking on my brews. Now after a ton of brews I. actaully forget about which beer I have in fermenters. I only go check them just before I am ready to. bottle

I have figured out that the yeast will do it's job. Just let it be and enjoy beer when it is done. I have never had one not finish by just leaving it alone.

Cheers.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman0001 View Post
And by visible signs we don't necessarily mean airlocks. Sometimes an airlock doesn't bubble. It is only a vent, a valve to release excess co2, not a fermentation gauges. Airlocks start and stop as much as from environmetal things like temp, barometric pressure, a truck rolling by, or the dog trying tohump the fermenter, so don't go by what an airlock doesn't do.

Instead, after 72 hours as indicated by the sticky linked by beerman, take a gravity reading...That really is the ONLY accurate way to know what a beer is doing.

But it is NOT unthought of for a beer to appear to be doing NOTHING for the first 3 days....don't worry about it. Modern yeast RARELY does not not work for us anymore. It's not like it was in the 70's...Todays yeast RARELY lets us own.

I pitch my yeast and usually walk away for a month...I hardly ever bother checking....and the yeast has YET to fail to do it's job.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Thanks for the info. When I use buckets I always have a hard time getting a good seal. If you push in the middle of the lid and the airlock doesn't bubble then it's not sealed.

If it is sealed, then like the others have said, the yeast is probably just taking a bit longer.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply