Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Night

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
iphonedylan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First Brew Night

First brew night in the books. I joined this forum about a month ago while I was in Afghanistan doing research. Ordered my beginner brew/kegging kit from Midwest and a 3 x faucet keezer kit from KegConnection. Wound up with great deals and customer service on both. I got back to the states 48 hours ago and the Midwest shipment arrived this evening. I have the Ferocious IPA kit in the primary meow without any mishaps to report other than a half measure of vodka going into the primary through the air lock

I'm going to be in and out of the house for the next month so my tentative plan is as follows:
- Rack the IPA into a secondary with the supplied hops 7 days from now
- Brew a pumpkin ale kit from Midwest that same night w/3 x cans of pumpkin rather than the recommended 1
- Keg both the IPA and pumpkin ale 2.5 weeks from that night

I'm going to Mexico after that day and won't be back until after Thanksgiving so that's why the IPA will be in the secondary for an extra week and a half and why I'll be kegging the pumpkin ale straight from the primary. Any thoughts on this? Then will be the long wait until I start pouring... we'll see how long I actually last. I'm going to start an autumn brown ale after I keg those two. Definitely need to invest in an aeration system.... stirring 5 gallons of wort is for the birds after investing in everything I did right off the bat. Thanks for all the info out there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
iphonedylan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Og

Forgot to add that original gravity was 1.055 for the Ferocious IPA

Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
BluBruShack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I bet its nice to be back home with all of your new toys Those look like they should be great. The pumpkin should be completely fermented after 2.5 weeks and ready for transfer. Then another 2 weeks in the keg and it should be carbed and good to go. Not sure on the flavor of it but it can still work on its flavor in the keg. My pumpkin did not hit its stride until 5 weeks total but that was a recipe i made up.

Aeration systems are great but I have not had any issues without one yet. My highest gravity was 1.120 and it fermented down fine with the initial agitation. Good luck and hope all goes well with the keezer.

-BBS

----------------------------------------------------------------
Up Next: Dopplebock
Primary: European IPA
Secondary: Empty :(
Keg: Pumpkin Amber Ale, Skeeter Pee(why not?)
Conditioning: Cherry Canadian Blonde, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
iphonedylan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Active airlock

It's definitely great to be back for a bit. Going out the door again May of next year but I'm enjoying this new hobby now. Woke up this morning to a steady, slow bubbling from the airlock. That was about 11 hours after I pitched the yeast so I'm not sure exactly when it started.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
brewtus72
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just brewed the ferocious ipa last night man. It should be a nice hoppy delicious beer. my OG 1.067 though. I'm gonna throw a twist on it though and instead of dry hopping with the pellet hops that were sent im doing an all leaf cascade dry hop for more of that citrus and grapefruit aroma and flavor. I hope your turns out good. you'll have to post when it's done and you taste yours.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2106 Times on 1844 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

It'll likely take more than 7 days to get down to Fg & settle out clear before a 1 week dry hop. Don't be in too big a hurry to get it done. The yeasties have their own time table.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
brewtus72
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yea I am gonna give it until next Saturday in primary and then transfer on top of 3oz of cascade. The hops they recommend for the dry hopping are not the hop profiles I prefer so I ordered 3oz of the cascade leaf and am going to do an all cascade dry hop for 2 weeks then cold crash to clear out the hop leaves and then bottle. Do you think this sounds good? Or is 3oz of cascade a little overkill on the dry hopping

Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I've used 1.5oz for dry hopping & it turned out great at 1 week dh. The leaf hops never settled out completely for me. I bag all my dry hops. Cleaner that way. Use a grain bag for the whole leaf. They have a lot more volume for the same weight compared to pellets.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
iphonedylan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Airlock malfunction

So I had a mishap. While I was out of town (Friday-Tuesday night) the cap on my airlock popped off. I don't know how long it was off but it's safe to assume at least 2-3 days. I'm currently searching the forums for some info but I'm wondering if I should just dump it and start over or go ahead and rack it to a secondary tomorrow when I'm going to brew my next beer and give it a shot. To reiterate, the entire airlock didn't leave the lid, nor did the lid of the bucket come unseated, just the cap the floats on the airlock jumped out and landed on the lid.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

So just the cap blew off or the center piece too? As long as the entire three days was during initial fermentation,you sgould be ok. It blows a lot of co2 at that point.

Quick Reply