Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew, minor/major problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
AndrewNSachs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew, minor/major problem?

Hey everyone! I've been on these forums for about a month of a half, and finally did my first brew yesterday. (I've done one with my Dad before, but this was my first by myself) Anyways, the only problem that I had during the brew itself was that I realized that I didn't have any beer around to drink while I brewed... *shudder*.
But last night I was checking on fermentation (pretty aggressive bubbling really is fascinating to a new brewer!) and within a ten minute window that I left the garage, my airlock blew off. I quickly cleaned and sanitized and popped it back on, but ten minutes later, same thing. I took the stopper off of my airlock and shoved a 3/8" tube into it and quickly made a blowoff tube. Should I be worried about an infection? I'm thinking that the carboy only had the stopper off of it for maybe 5 minutes at the most, in which time CO2 and foam was pouring out of it, all over my garage floor...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
temptnmonkey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if CO2 and foam are going out, then there is likely not much coming in. It is unlikely an infection would occur in that short of time. Moreover, the yeast are already outpopulating any new bacteria/wild yeast that may have found their way in, which will also minimize the risk of perceivable infection.

I wouldn't worry. The beer should still turn out equally delicious.

P.S. This all assumes you adequately sanitized the airlock/blow off tube when you replaced.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
VillageBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds like you were properly equiped to handle the problem. Relax and get yourself some brew to enjoy on your next session. I am sure that it will turn out just fine!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
AndrewNSachs
Recipes 

Ok, I figured that was the case, just wanted to hear it from a couple veterans

Quick Reply