Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew made on Sunday! Awesome hobby!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
HopHead_32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default First brew made on Sunday! Awesome hobby!

Hey guys,
My buddy and I have been talking about home brewing for years and finally stepped up to the plate. We made a imperial IPA with a 60 min boil with Warrior, Amarillo and Cascade hops. Also made a our own mash. Wanted to make everything ourselves. We forgot to strain the first 8 seconds of the wort... Stupid first time mistake I know... To make a long story short I wanted to post some pics of the brew and have some guys tell me if it looks ok.... Really don't know to much about what it's supposed to look like 48 hours later..... Let me know what you guys think...

- OG after wort boil at 60F is 1.084
-Temp for fermentation is around 75F

(1st taken right after the 1 fermentation bottling)

(Taken 24 hours after)

(Taken 48 hours after)

On Deck: Black IPA or Stout
Primary: ESB
Secondary: IPA and Pale Ale
Bottled: IPA and Hard Cider

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Your ferment temp is too high. Get it down into mid 60's. You are risking off flavours with anything over 72 ish.. Research Swamp Cooler on here but it is basically a big plastic bucket, fill with cold water and add frozen water bottles to it to maintain temp.

Also, I am a faily new brewer but is that blow off tube without a bung a good practice?

Fermenter #1:
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled: Alesmith IPA
Up Next: Buffalo Sweat Clone (FinsFan)

Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Congrats man! Welcome to the hobby!

I can't see the pictures, but I will say that you might want to get that fermentation temp down. I don't know what yeast you're using but generally you want the yeast in a IIPA to just get the job done and stay out of the way, flavor-wise. If you're using a standard clean ale yeast (US-05, WLP001, Etc.) you'll want to get that temp down into the mid-to-high 60's. Otherwise you might end up with some hot alcohol flavors in your final product.

My first few batches were fermented in the high 70's and they tasted like someone dumped a shot of cheap vodka into the beer.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1253 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 3371

What these guys said.. if it's an american ale yeast you should have fermented cooler but the damage is probably done now. I'd try and keep it 65-68 in the future. If you for some reason used a belgain yeast which you probably didn't it's fine or you could even warm it up some more if you like

Congrats on the brew though it looks great!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
HopHead_32
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestBrewer
Your ferment temp is too high. Get it down into mid 60's. You are risking off flavours with anything over 72 ish.. Research Swamp Cooler on here but it is basically a big plastic bucket, fill with cold water and add frozen water bottles to it to maintain temp. Also, I am a faily new brewer but is that blow off tube without a bung?
Ok I will do that search now. Do you know if I've gone to long at that temp? I can try to have it ready by Thursday. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
HopHead_32
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener
Congrats man! Welcome to the hobby! I can't see the pictures, but I will say that you might want to get that fermentation temp down. I don't know what yeast you're using but generally you want the yeast in a IIPA to just get the job done and stay out of the way, flavor-wise. If you're using a standard clean ale yeast (US-05, WLP001, Etc.) you'll want to get that temp down into the mid-to-high 60's. Otherwise you might end up with some hot alcohol flavors in your final product. My first few batches were fermented in the high 70's and they tasted like someone dumped a shot of cheap vodka into the beer.
Hey,
Yeah I'm going to work on that temp this week.... I want to get it down ASAP but hopefully by Thursday the latest, fingers crossed that isn't to late.

We made a starter yeast of WLP001.... Sorry should have put that in my thread at the top. New at this lol

Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
I want to get it down ASAP but hopefully by Thursday the latest, fingers crossed that isn't to late.
The quicker the better. Do you have a spare bathroom? You can always fill up the tub.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 91

It is probably too late for this brew but the quicker the better. I am also not saying your brew will be ruined...it most likely will be very good. After perusing this site for months the most common theme seems to be healthy and proper amount of yeast pitched with the proper ferment temps being the two most important steps for making great beer. Good luck

Fermenter #1:
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled: Alesmith IPA
Up Next: Buffalo Sweat Clone (FinsFan)

Old 09-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3605 Times on 2224 Posts
Likes Given: 3117

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHead_32 View Post
Ok I will do that search now. Do you know if I've gone to long at that temp? I can try to have it ready by Thursday. Thanks for the heads up!
It'll be OK. Lower temps would be better, but most of us started at room temps and loved our first beers.

Don't bother straining your wort. It won't make a bit of difference.

That's a big IPA. I don't see a recipe here, but I've found that big IPAs like that are better when you replace some of the malt with sugar (table). Otherwise, you usually end up with a high FG (i.e., > 1.020) which is not nearly as digestable as a IIPA that is under 1.015.

That blowoff is fine, but you probably should consider something that will keep the fruit flies out. They love beer. And, they carry bacteria that will turn your beer into vinegar.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
HopHead_32
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener
The quicker the better. Do you have a spare bathroom? You can always fill up the tub.
Nope no spare tub.... Plus our 7 week old baby is in the hospital for a high fever, she is getting better thank goodness. That's one reason why I can't get it done tonight but hey she is way more important than beer. Thanks for the heads up, next time swamp cooler to the rescue! Lol

Quick Reply