Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew just put in the primary!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #31
CDGoin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Now how close are the delicious hydrometer sample to the final product..

Hydrometer samples were awesome.. the post priming sugar product wasnt near as good..

Thinking it was the extra water the sugar was dissolved in and the excited yeast (as it was cloudy going into the bottle, but clear in the sample). So for right now I'm in the three week RDWHA*C*B stage (NO Home brew right now )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #32
RlzTheKringen
Recipes 

Another reading and it looks as though the move to a few degrees warmer has helped! Also attached a picture to show the color. The time after fermentation helps clear this up as I understand, correct?

Again this is an autumn amber ale - how's it looking?

image-3426445090.jpg

image-591107158.jpg

Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #33
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 87

It looks pretty cloudy, but yeah, that should settle out with time. There is probably a lot of yeast in suspension right now but they should start dropping out soon. I would be careful about taking so many hydrometer readings though. For one thing, the more samples you take, the less finished beer you will have. But the biggest reason not to take too many is that the more you open up your fermenter and stick stuff in there and move stuff around, the more likely you are to introduce some bacteria or wild yeast strain that could cause your beer to become infected. You also open the beer up to oxygen which causes the beer to get oxidized which leads to cardboard like flavors. I know this is your first batch and I'm sure you are very curious about the fermentation process and maybe it's not such a bad idea to see how it progresses on your first batch, but on your batches in the future I would try to leave them closed and let them do their thing for as long as possible. I usually pitch the yeast and then I don't open it up or take a sample for at least 3 weeks or until I bottle.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #34
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

My fermentor is a Mr beer with a tap, and my secondary is a Ale Bucket (also with tap).

I honestly have no desire to get Carboys. They are heavy and cumbersome and breakable.

I perfer my equipment to have handles, and a spout

So i can sample anytime I want and not open the system to the air. So from spout to tube to bottom of sterilized bucket.. not mess and no fuss.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
RlzTheKringen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj
It looks pretty cloudy, but yeah, that should settle out with time. There is probably a lot of yeast in suspension right now but they should start dropping out soon. I would be careful about taking so many hydrometer readings though. For one thing, the more samples you take, the less finished beer you will have. But the biggest reason not to take too many is that the more you open up your fermenter and stick stuff in there and move stuff around, the more likely you are to introduce some bacteria or wild yeast strain that could cause your beer to become infected. You also open the beer up to oxygen which causes the beer to get oxidized which leads to cardboard like flavors. I know this is your first batch and I'm sure you are very curious about the fermentation process and maybe it's not such a bad idea to see how it progresses on your first batch, but on your batches in the future I would try to leave them closed and let them do their thing for as long as possible. I usually pitch the yeast and then I don't open it up or take a sample for at least 3 weeks or until I bottle.
Agreed. I wanted to make sure it was still going and to see if the temp change made a difference. No more peaking until the 3 week mark.

Quick Reply